Where is the SCORM API?

Where is the SCORM API?

by Sharon Boutwell -
Number of replies: 8

HI. I am new to SCORM, web servers and even LMSs.  I have been doing some research and maybe the reason I can't find an answer to this question is that it is so simple that it doesn't bear mentioning.  The question is this: If I download the Moodle install for windows onto our server, where exactly will the API_1484_11 reside.  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sharon Boutwell

Re: Where is the SCORM API?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm not sure why you care?

If you create a SCORM 1.2 package as a zip file you just create a new SCORM activity in Moodle and upload the zip file. 

If you *really* want to look at the code then you'll find it all in the mod/scorm directory. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Sharon Boutwell -

Maybe a more straight forward way to ask what I want to know is will the API or API_1484_11 reside on our server once Moodle is installed? 

Or another way to put it is -Will Moodle be completely self contained on our server as a LMS once it is installed?

Probably a really dumb question like I said before but I am Just trying to understand it all and wanted to make sure of this point .

Thank-you for your reply. 

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sharon,
yes, Moodle will be completely self contained in terms of a SCORM LMS as well as for several other components being Modular i.e. the M in Moodle.

HTH,
Matteo

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sharon,
in addition to what already posted, API_1484_11, as you know, is for SCORM 2004, partially supported by Moodle: https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/SCORM_FAQ#Supported_Versions.

What is/are exactly your needs to run SCORM 2004 packages?

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Sharon Boutwell -

Thanks for your reply Matteo.  Was not aware that SCORM 2004 was not fully supported by Moodle so thank-you for pointing that out.  I don't know if this is an issue for the majority of training materials that are available out there now or not.  Guess I need to keep on with my research.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Very few systems fully support SCORM 2004. It is worthwhile doing a web search on SCORM vs TinCan to get an idea of where this type of technology is going.

by Matteo Scaramuccia -

Hi Sharon,
you should ask how the SCORM 2004 content has been designed in terms of learning strategies behind the scenes of the tracking.

Simple sequencing is part of SCORM 2004 but Moodle lacks of fully supporting it while it supports the extended CMI Data Model which is mostly the main reason to adopt SCORM 2004 vs 1.2,  since many designers&coders fight with the sequencing, actually powerful but complex (read: over-killing, looking at it after many years).

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Sharon Boutwell -

Hi Matteo, Pretty sure from the sounds of it that the sequencing is way beyond anything we will ever need. As does Tin Can for that matter.  An extended CMI Data Model sounds just great!  Thanks for helping me understand it all a bit...!

Sharon