Using Workshop for non-peer-reviewed final draft submissions

Using Workshop for non-peer-reviewed final draft submissions

by Chuck Gobin -
Number of replies: 6

Has anyone tried using Workshop instead of Assignment (advanced uploading) for students to turn in final drafts of a paper? I was thinking about this last night and thought of some advantages and some drawbacks.

In the current version of Assignment, you can choose to use a rubric, which is great, but you can't weight criteria differently, which means the only way to tweak the grading scale is by the number of levels in each criteria--right? Of course, you can also send back a marked-up copy of the student's paper in Assignment, which I like. And there are comment boxes in the rubric.

As I said, it just occurred to me that I can set up a workshop where the students can't assess themselves or others, which means I'm the only one doing the reviewing. If I use Accumulated grading, I can weight different aspects differently and add comments for each aspect. I can also set the grading scale for each aspect, which seems to me to give me more control in fine tuning grades. [NOTE: I find rubrics helpful, but the grading scale "drop-off" points are always too severe--100-75-50-25--so I end up having to go back in and curve things.] BUT I can't think of a way to return marked papers in Workshop, so this seems a downside of this approach. I can always email the marked copies directly to the student, but I like having a record of their work--and mine--right on Moodle.

Anyway, anyone out there experiment with any of the above?

Chuck Gobin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chuck Gobin

Re: Using Workshop for non-peer-reviewed final draft submissions

by Sarah Honeychurch -

We use Turnitin as a Moodle plugin.  Staff can mark online and students can log in to see a fully marked copy with all the functionality you mention and more.

In reply to Sarah Honeychurch

by Chuck Gobin -

Thanks. I'll ask our IT folks to check it out. This last year, I've been using iAnnotate on my iPad to read final drafts--love being able to read and mark without having to be online, and I like "writing" on a touch screen in addition to using typed comments. It syncs well with Dropbox, which in turn syncs well with Moodle, so that part of the system has worked well for me. What kind of marking capabilities does Turnitin provide?

In reply to Chuck Gobin

by Debbie Unterseher -

Moodle syncs with Dropbox?  I tried setting it up, but I must have missed some setting.  Thanks for the other ideas as well.

In reply to Chuck Gobin

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

but you can't weight criteria differently

That's not correct imho. You can design the rubric so that some criteria "bring" more points to the final grade. So if a criterion A has levels 1, 2, 3 and 4 and a criterion B has levels 2, 4, 6 and 8 then the resulting effect is that the B has twice bigger impact than A (hence its weight is 2). Note that you can decide to show or hide the actual points so that the marker may or may not be aware of the actual weight of the criterion.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Chuck Gobin -

Thanks so much for the help--it didn't occur to me to weight things this way. Another question: I don't suppose there's a way to create a range for each level, is there? For example, if I wanted to have a 10-point scale, can I only do that by creating 10 descriptive statements for each criterion? I don't really want something that bulky, but I'd like finer distinctions than having to choose between a 4 and a 3, knowing that--percentage-wise--a student goes from 100% to 75% in a particular area. I end up with students receiving something in the 60s or 70s, when I would have given them something in the 80s if I were not using a rubric.

Contrary to some other folks posting, I'm not looking for a way to take my judgment out of the process; I always review the "automatic" grade and make adjustments where they are needed. But I would like to tweak things so that the "automatic" grade comes in closer to the holistic grade I end up giving.

In reply to Chuck Gobin

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

No, rubric does not allow ranges by design. Only accumulative strategy allows that (to mark each criterion on a scale or with a numerical mark).

Note there are several ways how you can make adjustments described in the docs:

• by simply overriding the calculated grade with a static value
  • by increasing the weight of some assessment you consider "correct"
  • by providing your own assessment, probably with higher weight to highlight its impact

Note that the second and the third option influence the calculation of the grade for assessment, too.