HTML/PHP

HTML/PHP

by Doctor Mlambo -
Number of replies: 5

how do i get hold of my code, how do i change my code on moodle, HTML or PHP, how do i add webpages and make it look like  a website?

i need something like this http://eduxonline.com/moodle/

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doctor Mlambo

Re: HTML/PHP

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well if you uploaded Moodle yourself to a server then you already have the code. As for making it look like a website - the answer really depends on how much you already know about HTML (which Moodle isn't written in) and PHP. What is your starting point?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Doctor Mlambo -

i do know HTML my question is where do i find the option in the controlpanel where i can edit the html code, is it under appearence? i looked everywhere and i can't seem to find the option.

Am i required to have PHP skills to use moodle?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mm I think we should take a step back here and ask what exactly do you want to do?

You do not need to know any HTML, PLP or MySQL skills to use Moodle, a good understanding of how to explore a new product is essential though. If you want to create courses and classes, then you can just use Moodle without any HTML or PHP or MySQL. As long as you have an idea, then you can create a course, edit and add resources you want to use in lessons to it, add in images, add in such things as Wikis, pdf files, links to other web sites, make documents online, for students to use online, there is a lot you can do.   

If you want to do things with the screen, like add in things that Moodle does not currently have, like change the layout you want to use, then PHP, HTML and CSS on their own will not help you too much at the beginning. If this is what you are after, then you need to start with themes. You best start here, which should give you an idea of where to go to next. You might want to create new blocks, new activities. These will take some time and planning and a really good understanding of what Moodle is and how to use it. 

Once you get used to it, using Moodle is actually easy, and the learning curve does not need to be too steep.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Doctor Mlambo -

My actual question is there in control panel where i can edit the code of my moodle site? i need to get hold of the theme code, i need to edit the code of the theme, is it posible and if yes where is there option in a control panel?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

No, there is no control panel you can do that in, at least, not yet. There may be, but Moodle 2 Themes are newish and people are still exploring the possibilities. No doubt as it become more sophisticated there will be something that it can be donbe in, but the links I gave you will introduce you to how themes are created and how they can be manipulated. You need to know a little HTML, a lot of CSS and PHP. Themes are constructed by CSS, so I am given to understand. You might want to go into the Developer's Forum or the Themes forum for more assistance.