Mentor - Mentee odd behaviour

Mentor - Mentee odd behaviour

by Chris Wheatland -
Number of replies: 6

I hope this is in the correct forum, please feel free to redirect me if it isn't.

I've recently been playing with the 'parent' role and I've noticed some odd behaviour. My test student is enrolled on a number of courses and the test parent has been assigned to them. When the parent looks at the "activity report" for course 1 they can see "today's logs", "all logs", "outline report", "complete report" and "grade". However, when they look at the activity report for the student on any of the other courses all they get is "grade". Does anyone know why and how I can fix it so they get all the report types on all courses?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Wheatland

Re: Mentor - Mentee odd behaviour

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Guten Tag Chris. How exactly did you set up your parent role and how  did you  link the parent to the child? Did you follow the instructions here 

and  in the docs http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Parent_role ? Is the parent assigned in any courses as well as having their child linked to them?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Wheatland -

Guten tag Frau Cooch, oder soll ich sagen bonjour Madame Cooch parce que j'ai appris recemment français! C'est un petit monde !

Yep, I set it all up like in the docs and on the video and, on the whole, it works fine; it certainly does what it's supposed to except that I only get the full list of reports for one out of the 3 courses the pupil is enrolled on.

This is what I expect to see, and what one of my courses (the mechanics one) produces. Note that all report types are available.

And the one below is what all the other courses look like. Note that only "grade" is available.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Chris -once an MFL teacher, always an MFL teacher... Well, I tested the parent role on one of my Moodles and one of Moodle's Moodles - and both times I only got your second screenshot -ie - only Grades -which is what I'd have expected. The Parent role is a really locked down one. Can you see if there are any differences in the set up of the first course from the second course - presumably the parent is enrolled in neither but how is enrolment handled - manual? guest access? Does the student only have the student role in both/all courses? Just trying some diagnostics.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Wheatland -
Hmm, I watched the video on how to set up the parent role and their example showed what I get in my first screenshot. I've scoured the 'edit settings' menu in both courses and I can't find a difference. I also looked at the permissions of both courses and there's just too much in there to compare but I do know that both have the same permission for the parent role which is moodle/user:viewusergradereport or something similar. The parent is enrolled in no courses and I've checked that all the enrolment methods are the same for each course and they are: manual enrolment, though course enrolment is usually self enrolment as I've not got as far asaking a database of students, Mich easier to let them handle it themselves with the small group I'm working with. One further question: while the parent can see their child's grades for completed work is there a way of them seeing what their child SHOULD have done, so they can nag them to complete work etc.?

by Chris Wheatland -

Solved it! There was a setting called "show activity reports" in the course settings. It was switched on in one course and off in all the rest. 

by Marco António -

Hi all,

i set up parent role following instructions in moodle docs and the video. But, even after check course setting "show activity reports", my "test student" activity report show

student Activity Report

and my "test parent" activity report only show grade report.

parent Activty Report

Can anyone help me to explain this situation?