Number of Errors grading method doesn't grade?

Number of Errors grading method doesn't grade?

by Elizabeth Dalton -
Number of replies: 9

I've tried this a couple of times now, and it looks to me like "Number of errors" always assigns full points to the submission, regardless of how many of the errors are selected during the Assessment phase. I have no trouble setting up any of the other grading methods and getting them to work as expected. I'm on Moodle 2.1, and I have allocated just one reviewer per submission. I know with only one reviewer the "Grading grade" will always be full value, but I expected the submission grade to reflect the errors selected by the reviewer. Is there a known bug? I tried to search, but couldn't find one. What would you need from me to diagnose this?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

Re: Number of Errors grading method doesn't grade?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Elizabeth. This is known usability issue. When you finish editing your assessment form, save and continue editing it. Note there is yet another form at the bottom of screen. Here, you have to define the mapping table - that is what number of errors leads to what grade (in percents). The numbers displayed beside the drop-down menus are a hint. If you use them (select them manually in drop-down menus), you will have linear conversion.

This user interface, besides many others in the Workshop, deservers some usability improvement to make it more intuitive, for sure.

Hope this helps.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Wow. That's obscure. Shouldn't the system at least assign those "hint" values as defaults on the initial save? Granted there are more usability improvements that could be made in Workshop, but I would think defaulting the mapping table would be a pretty simple fix and would help a lot.

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

That's obscure.

Agree.

at least assign those "hint" values as defaults on the initial save?

It's not that easy. As the number of assertions in the form may vary with every save, you can't just generate some initial mapping on the first save and keep it. If another assertion was added, the mapping would not correspond any more. And we can't decide whether the previously saved mapping was the default linear one or an intentional one.

Hmm, actually we can. Instead of the whole mapping form, there could be just a single checkbox "Use default linear errors/grades mapping", checked by default. Only after the teacher unchecks it, the mapping form would be displayed and the teacher would become responsible for providing the mapping table. I expect most of teachers use the default mapping anyway.

Thanks for rising this!

In reply to David Mudrák

by Ivan Periz -

Hello David,

I have found the same described in this thread. After submission and peer assessment, all grades are top grades.

Following your indications, I have defined the mapping table, but grades keep the same, even if I ask Moodle to recalculate.

Students should not repeat assessing peers, should they?

Could you tell me if I am missing something?

Thanks in advance,

ivan

Attachment workshop-qualificacions.gif
Attachment workshop-taula-mapatge-de-notes.PNG
In reply to Ivan Periz

by David Mudrák -

Hi Ivan,

what a coincidence - I am just solving the very same issue with a Czech user in the Czech Moodle community forum. Yeah, unfortunately there is no simple way to let Moodle to recalculate the grades. The thing is, individual grades from peers are calculated and stored at the moment when the assessment form is saved by the student. The only thing you can do now once you have fixed the mapping table is

• Have the workshop in the Evaluation phase
  • Use the "Clear assessments" tool. It will mark all submissions as not assessed - yet it does not remove the allocation (who is assessing who) and how the assessment forms were filled
  • Switch the workshop back to the Assessment phase
  • Let students to re-save the assessments forms (or you, as a teacher/admin, have to go and log in as every student and do that on behalf of them.

I am really sorry about this, I am aware it's an important usability issue and should have been fixed ages ago.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Pau Ferrer Ocaña -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi David, 

In order to get this issue solved in our platform ASAP, can you tell us what is the MDL related to this issue in the tracker so we can subscribe to it?

Thanks for all your support! smile

Pau

In reply to Pau Ferrer Ocaña

by David Mudrák -
Hi Pau. I was trying to search for it as I believed it was already reported. Did not find it so I created MDL-49779 to track the issue. Please vote.