Quiz Questions and Outcomes

Quiz Questions and Outcomes

by David Weeks -
Number of replies: 6

I am trying to change the way I manage the assignments in my classes to a more data driven method. I have aggresively used outcomes to drive the activities both in and out of moodle that my students are completing. My next step is to take this idea to my assessments, while I am having success using the moodle outcomes for PBL assessment, I would also like to create quizzes that utilize outcomes. I am wondering if there is a way to tie quiz questions to outcomes, my end result would be to track class performance data based on outcomes and quizzes are a great quick way to assess knowledge and learning.

I am using a Moodle 2.1 currently.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Weeks

Re: Quiz Questions and Outcomes

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is not currently possible to link quiz results to outcomes.

This would be a very nice feature to have, but it would be quite a lot of work to implment, and so no one has done that yet.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Doug Loomer -

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure if you are still handling the quiz module, but I'm really interested in trying to contribute to the Moodle community by having a go at implementing the ability to add outcomes to individual quiz questions.  With the push to standards based grading/reporting that is going on in the U.S. it would be a boon to teachers to have a gradebook that builds standards performance data from computer graded assessments.  Before I dive into this, however, it seems prudent to find out whether others are already working on the task.  Also, if noone is, do you have any concerns about this feature being implemented?

All the best,

Doug

In reply to Doug Loomer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moodlerooms have put forward a proposal about this: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=220143

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Doug Loomer -

Thanks Tim...Duplicating a work in progress is exactly what I don't want to do.  I've read their proposal now, and it is certainly spot-on with what I am seeking, both in terms of rationale and in terms of features.  There may be some graphing reports that I would also want, but I will pursue them there. I really appreciate your direction on this.

In reply to David Weeks

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@David,

For the benefit of anyone wondering about the PBL acronym you used in your message, here's a link to a Wikipedia article on Problem-based learning (PBL). You may wish to complete this with your own references. Thanks in advance.

Joseph

In reply to David Weeks

by Lindy Klein -

Hello David,

While there is no way of doing this directly on the Quiz settings page as of Moodle 2.1, within the grader report, there is a work around.  

On the Grader report page, select Categories and Items, and add an Outcome Item.  On the following page, you can choose to tie the outcome to the quiz.

Essentially, this gives you another thing to mark related to the quiz, so you can use the scale linked to the learning outcome to evaluate how your students have demonstrated their achievement of that outcome in the quiz activity.

It was easier to do this in 1.9, as the Outcomes panel was available on the quiz settings page, allowing you to select multiple outcomes by clicking checkboxes.  Having to add them one by one to the grader report is a little tedious - but it will achieve the same purpose.

I've put a tracker item here http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31509 on behalf of one of Pukunui's clients.  For those who feel this is a useful feature, can I encourage you to comment or vote on the tracker item, or comment here to explain how/why you would use it?

The downside as I see it is that your grader report becomes quite large, the more Learning Outcomes you use, with a column created for each instance.  Attaching multiple outcomes to quizzes means instead of them being the friendly little self-marking creatures that make out lives easier, they become something that needs our attention to finalise marking.  

Like so many things in Moodle - depends on your purpose as to which way is going to work best for you ;)

Hope this helps!

Lindy