What does "Days available" mean?

What does "Days available" mean?

by Glenn Pillsbury -
Number of replies: 5

This would seem to mean "days for which the journal will be available", but that would seem to be in conflict with the Restrict Access tools in Moodle 2.x

Instead, does it actually mean "will be available in xxx days"?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenn Pillsbury

Re: What does "Days available" mean?

by David Monllaó -

Hi Glenn, 

The restricted access settings are only visible with condicional activities enabled. It determines the number of days the activity will be available to students

In reply to David Monllaó

by Jose Londoño -

Hi David:

The number of "days available" goes up to  the end of the day (11:55pm) or it starts counting days at the time de journal is created, so if I create it at 2pm and make it available for one day it will close the next day at 2pm?

Thanks,

Jose

In reply to Jose Londoño

by David Monllaó -

Hola Jose,

Just checked the code to see how it works: The "Days" setting is only used when the course format is "weeks", and it depends on the section where the activity was created (each section has a start date and a final date) so if you set 3 days the activity will be opened during 3 days from the beginning of the section; answering your question, it does not matter when you create the activity, it depends always on the section start date, so 11:55 smile

I haven't removed this setting because has always been there (I'm only maintaining the module since Moodle 2.0 was released) but I'm thinking of just removing it in the 2.8 journal version as:

• It's functionality is overlapped by other Moodle features to restrict the availability of activities
  • It adds confusion with other Moodle features
  • It's behaviour is not clear (and there is no help message for it...)

If someone is against removing it please, comment about it.

In reply to Glenn Pillsbury

by Conn Warwicker -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm confused by this as well. If i leave a journal to the default "available 7 days", then the journal says that the editing period ended on about Nov 1st 2013...

It's ok if I say it's always open, but if I use the days it locks it saying it closed about 9 months ago.