How to resolve plugin requirements before upgrade

How to resolve plugin requirements before upgrade

by david reid -
Number of replies: 6

Hey All,

When performing the the preliminary steps before a Moodle upgrade, how do you resolve plugin requirements?  My assumption was that when it says "To be upgraded" or "To be installed" in the status column that the plugin requirements would be resolved during the upgrade.  This doesn't seems to be the case though, as Moodle gives me a "You must solve all the plugin requirements before proceeding to install this Moodle version!" error and my onlly choice is a reload button.  If this is correct, how do I resolve the plugin requirements?

Thanks In Advance,

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to david reid

Re: How to resolve plugin requirements before upgrade

by david reid -

Nevermind I fixed it myself.

In reply to david reid

by Attilio Giannone -

Should be useful to know how did you resolve it,
thanks,

Attilio

In reply to Attilio Giannone

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have 'run into' similar when migrating a copy of a 1.9.16 to a 2.x.

Should have checked all third party (add-ons) in the 1.9.16 for 2.x versions.  Fortunately for me, many of the add-ons had a version 2.

Downloaded the version 2 mod/block, installed manually ... unzipped the zip on local machine or work area on server.  Moved the resulting folder into proper place in the M2 code (block/mod).   Set permissions correctly. 

Any 1.9.x add-on for which I could NOT find a version two, I removed from the 1.9.x copy.

Checked the 1.9.x copy for functionality ... broken courses that used the add-ons - and made individual course backups - with labels/notes concerning the add-on's no longer being available.  At least the teacher, when logging onto the migrated site, could see info and be informed.

Then went forward with the migration of the 1.9.x copy to 2.  It did result in a 'cleaner' migration.

Will it work 100% of the time?  Uhhh, wish I could say that.  Depends upon the blocks/mod add-ons ... and if the version 2's were compat with the Moodle version to which migrating.  Discovered not all version 2 mods/blocks, etc. were compat with all version 2's. :|

But, would also like to hear of experiences of others!  So please post your solution.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to david reid

by Andrew Lowkis -

Hi

Can you tell me how you resloved this please?

In reply to david reid

by Amar Kumawat -

Mr. Reid, whats the god damn problem with u in sharing the resolution, huh????

In reply to Amar Kumawat

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

Being a plugin developer myself, I would recommend the following procedure:

1. If you have contrib add-ons (plugins) then before upgrading, check and download the version for the version of Moodle you are upgrading to.  If there is not a version, then remove it before upgrade and perform corrective action if required.  If there is an upgrade then read the 'readme' first to check for any special instructions.  
  2. Turn on 'Maintenance Mode' and perform a complete file and database backup.
  3. After completing the above, update Moodle and the plugin's at the same time, then you should not get the 'reloading' issue.
  4. If you do get the 'reloading' issue, then go to the plugin's folder in your installation and update the files from the downloaded version you got in step one.  It is always much safer to backup and clean out the plugin's folder before putting in the new files to avoid conflicts.  If a plugin has database tables then it should cope (if not contact the author) - and if fail, remove the plugin both file and it's entry in the 'config_plugins' table (read it's uninstallation intructions in it's readme file - if none - contact the author and ask for some).  Once you have updated all the plugins causing the issue, go back to the 'reloading' page and 'reload' to continue to complete the upgrade.
  5. Turn off 'Maintenance Mode'.

Cheers,

Gareth