Exemption from a quiz to a particular student?

Exemption from a quiz to a particular student?

by Amos Bouskila -
Number of replies: 1

In my course there are 5 quizes. They are weighted with teacher evaluation and then with the final exam and I do this via formulas. 

If students miss a quiz for no good reason - they should get 0 as a grade on this quiz. If they have a good reason for missing it (illness, etc), they are exempted from doing the quiz, and their grades will be calculated only based on the 4 remaining quizes, weighted with the other elements (final exam etc).

I thought that a - (dash) will not be counted as zero, and can be used to mark an exemption from a quiz to a particular student, but in the formula, I can see it is interpreted exactly like a zero.

(I noticed that before I entered teh formulas, and allowed the gradebook to calculate teh default average grade, it did ignore the dashes, which is what I want, but not so with teh formula). 

An example for one of the formulas I am using, by the way, is the following:

=sum((average(1,2,3,4,5)*25),6*2)*1/7

Any suggestion how to exempt a student from a particular quiz?

I can't tell you which version of Moodle my University is using - couldn't find where it shows up. When I go to the help, I see 2.2 on the right, but I am not sure if this correspond also to the software we are running. (so if you can also tell me where I can see the Moodle version, it will be appreciated)

Thanks, 

Amos

In reply to Amos Bouskila

Re: Exemption from a quiz to a particular student?

by Itamar Tzadok -

Possible ways with formulas are described (way) down this forum. However, it should be easier without formulas so the question is whether you really need the fromula. Afacit, the above is a fairly simple caculation which you can do with sub-categories and WM aggregation method. Then, there is a built-in exempt option (see illustration for 1.9 but it looks fairly similar in 2+). smile