HTML, TeX, and images in answers for calculated multichoice please

HTML, TeX, and images in answers for calculated multichoice please

by Christopher McClain -
Number of replies: 9

HTML, TeX, and images in answers for calculated multichoice please!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher McClain

Re: HTML, TeX, and images in answers for calculated multichoice please

by Pierre Pichet -

This issue is related to a first one in the Mathematic tools forum

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193975

It was followed by some private emails and in the final one 

I put the MDL-26510 on the top of my todo list wink .

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Pierre Pichet -

Work in progress, see MDL-26510

Pierre

by Brian White -

What is the status of this?   I am running Moodle 2.2.1  and am trying to create a set of calculated Algebra multiple choice questions.   I would like to be able to use TeX in my multiple choice options as well as the question itself.   TeX is working properly in standard MC questions but not the Calculated type.

Is there a patch I could install or a hidden "enable" option?   Thanks so much!

by Brian White -

I just went ahead and upgraded to 2.2.5 and still no luck.

In reply to Brian White

by Marc Grober -

This is related to some very old issues, and I am wondering if a change in strategy might not help.  Turn off the TeX filter and add the MathJax reference to AdditionalHtml Header  and see if that helps

In reply to Marc Grober

by Brian White -

Great idea!  I forgot all about the JS implementation of TeX!  I have used that before when I tried writing an iPhone app once and had some luck with it.   I just gave it a try and it worked for the most part, but I'll have to figure-out why it's doing some strange justification when displaying the MC options.   I think it is a workable solution, though.

I just tested it on the iPad, and it worked great there.   (All of our students have iPads this year, which is why I'm trying so hard to get all of this kind of stuff working well and as automated (and randomly generated) as possible.

Thanks again!

In reply to Brian White

by Marc Grober -

There is an ancient Tracker item wherein Pierre explains the issue with MC and the TeX filter that would likely help.  Look for my name I suppose as I think I likely filed it.

Once you have added MathJax to your Additional Html you can easily add jsxgraph and geogebra and that makes for handy little option.  While I am at it, note that the folks at Bayreuthe have also come up with sketchometry http://sketchometry.org/ which you might find of interest with your iPads smile

In reply to Marc Grober

by Pierre Pichet -

Thanks Marc for handling this forum issue.

I should have time this fall to come back to the handling of images or math equation in calculated multichoice.

Your last comments open new options that I should test (on my wife Ipad wink) .

Pierre

In reply to Marc Grober

by Greg Padberg -

Is there a fix for this yet, or at least an explanation of how or why it continues to pose a challenge?  The only way it seems to work correctly is when MathJax is loaded for all Moodle pages (adding MathJax javascript loader at Site administration > Appearance > Additional HTML within HEAD).

This workaround is available to Moodle Admins, but otherwise any users with only Teacher access would otherwise be out of luck.