Official Facetoface 2.0

Official Facetoface 2.0

by Alastair Munro -
Number of replies: 66

Hi Everyone,

First off I'd like to thank Jeremy Schweitzer and Dongyoung Kim for their effort in porting Face-to-face to work with Moodle 2. Dongyoung's work was funded by Iowa State University Child Welfare Research and Training Project and my work on the module is funded by Totara LMS.

The new F2F designed for Moodle 2.1 and is upgradeable from the existing 2.0 version and has all the bug fixes included from the latest 1.9 version. Currently there are a few issues with the backup and restore functionlity. Moodle 2 backup and restore works apart from the custom fields and Moodle 1 restore has problems restoring session dates.

Because of these issues I am not going to submit it to the plugins database yet but will do so once the backup and restore issues have been resolved.

Please let me know if there are any bugs found and I'll try to get them fixed as soon as possible.

The module can be found at:
https://github.com/totara/facetoface-2.0
or a direct download from:
https://github.com/totara/facetoface-2.0/zipball/v2.0

Thanks,
Alastair

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alastair Munro

Re: Official Facetoface 2.0

by Alastair Munro -

There has been an issue with taking attendance that was reported. This has been fixed in the main branch available for download from the github link above or here: https://github.com/totara/facetoface-2.0/zipball/master

by Flotter Totte -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Alastair,

thanks for the great news!

I have a little suggestion in the conditions form:

My suggestion is to add in the context above:  consider the activity as completed, when

1. session is over (session date/time < current date/time)

2. attendance has been taken

Flotter

by Amr Ahmed -

Thanks Alastair for this wonderfull plugin. Can you please provide us with installation tips for those of us who are not very technicalsmile.

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Amr Ahmed -

Does Facetoface support  v2.2?

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Ivo Šmelhaus -

Hi Alastair,
I have installed this plugin in the latest version of Moodle (2.2) and there is a critical bug. I created few face-to-face activities and after creating the next one there were DELETED ALL other EVENTS and the only events in the whole server were the ones created by the last face-to-face session. I tested this behavior again and it was first repeatable and second I traced it in MySQL table mdl_event and the older records were deleted from the table.
Additionally, I mean, that there should be created the global event only but in the fact, there are created both, the global and the user event for every session for all users regardless they are booked for this session or not, or they have any role in the course.
Please let me know, if I can be helpful by removing this bug.
I can create the report, if you let me know, where the right place is.
Thanks
             Ivo

In reply to Ivo Šmelhaus

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Ivo,

This sounds very serious, I'm looking into the problem and will let you know when its fixed.

Cheers,
Alastair

In reply to Ivo Šmelhaus

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Ivo,

I have had a look into this issue and have been unable to replicate it. I have tried both Postgres and MySQL without any success. In both cases sessions from other F2F activities and other events were not deleted. Also I had no issues with user events being created for every session. Would you be able to give me more details on your setup and steps you took when these problems occured?

Thanks,
Alastair

by Ivo Šmelhaus -

Hi Alastair,
It was really tough. I spent more than half a day to be able to replicate it, i.e. to get the step triggering the problem. And bless the VMware smile.
So the crucial point is, that in the course should be enrolled a teacher. This leads to new section "Session roles" in session setting form. For the first view, there is a problem, because of there are two checkable items for one user with one role (e.g. teacher/user_1). The exact point, when all events are lost is, if you check any of these two items. That is behavior, what at least for me is really repeatable. smile I checked it more times.
During the testing, I have found some more bugs or strange behavior.
1.    If you change the f2f activity name for calendar, it is not applied to the event generated by the sessions.
What is interesting and maybe can help is, that after deleting process the only one event is finally renamed (applied the long time ago changed name for calendar in the activity setting).
2.    As mentioned above, the items in "Session roles" are doubled.
3.    After you click to calendar item for the f2f session and then click to Sign-up for this Face-to-face session, you get an error. The address is "http://yourserver/calendar/\", what is sure wrong.
4.    After creating new session, the person, who created the session get an user type event in her/his calendar. Imagine that the session is often created by some assistant, so it is not her /his event. What is more uncomfortable is that the name of this event is the name of the activity. This practically means, that having many courses of the same type (e.g. on-site courses) with f2f activity of the same name in each of them. As a result this assistant has tens or more events with the same name, which is very confusing.
 (it is not a bug, but I would suggest considering a change)

So, I hope, it was helpful and let me know, if I can do more for you.
Thanks for your work and hopefully, it will be one of the best plugins smile.

Ivo

In reply to Ivo Šmelhaus

by Ivo Šmelhaus -

Hi Alastair,
There is another one bug.
1.    If you hide the course, which contains f2f activity with session, the appropriate event is still visible in calendar. So if you consider, that the user_1 is not allowed even to know about the existence of the course, it is enough to put inside the course an f2f activity with session and this user_1 knows about the existence of the course and its name and additionally the information about at least one detail of this course, i.e. the f2f activity. And that all despite nobody of the users (e.g. course creator) has the capability to set the course visible. Or you are just working on a new course in hidden area, the course is hidden and you put inside an f2f activity with some secrete information inside which never should be published but in fact, even the guest can see it.  So this is a very bad security issue.
2.    And just before sending this post, I’ve got some message "PHP catchable fatal error" and lost of the last event in calendar. But I don't know how to analyze it.  

Thanks and a good luck
                                          Ivo

In reply to Ivo Šmelhaus

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Ivo,

We've managed to find the calendar event deletion issue and fix it. The latest code from the github repository has the fix in it. Also the duplicate session role bug has been fixed. I'll continue looking at the other issues you have reported and work through them.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Ivo Šmelhaus -

Hi Alastair,

I tried it both, just downloaded the zip and replaced the folder facetoface with the downloaded one and then uninstall facetoface module with all instances and install again. Unfortunately the deletion issue is still there. Please look at it. May be there isn't the latest version at github wink .
The duplicate issue is fixed.

Thanks for a quick reply and looking forward to new version

Ivo

In reply to Ivo Šmelhaus

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Ivo,

Did you download the latest from github or did you use the download link above? try this download:

https://github.com/totara/facetoface-2.0/zipball/master (this will always link to the latest code)

Cheers,
Alastair

by Ivo Šmelhaus -

Hi Alastair,
Thanks a lot for a quick response (foe others: we managed some problem of the category "which version is the actual one big grin) and sorry, that my is coming with slight delay.
But the important information is that the deletion problem is fixed.
Looking forward to the next version.

Ivo

In reply to Ivo Šmelhaus

by Jason De Donno -

I fully agree with what you say. Any online training requires direct contact with students at some point. Should be a core feature.

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Amr,

Yes this should support 2.2. Please let me know if you have any issues with getting it working.

Cheers,
Alastair

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Amr,

It is very easy to install, just copy the files into a folder mod/facetoface and visit the notifications page in the site administration menu.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Amr Ahmed -

Hi Alastair,

I successfully installed  facetoface module thanks. However, after following your discussion with Ivo I decided to dowload that latest version. So what I basically did was deleting the old facetoface from the /mod directory and copying the new version. When I went to notifications nothing happened, but facetoface is functioning. Did I install correctly?

The other thing I am confused about is that it is not allowing me to enrol student to a new facetoface activity.. the message I am recieveing: "Could not enrol Amr I into the course. Could not add Amr I to the session.". I am using Moodle 2.2+ (Build: 20111223). Thanks for your support.

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Amr,

Which version of Face-to-face were you previously using? There should have been an update when you went to the notifications page unless it was a recent version.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Amr Ahmed -

Not sure which version but I downloaded it from the link in your post Dec 15. I then deleted it from /mod and installed the latest version.

by Amr Ahmed -

I am also getting this error message when I am trying to set permission for a use: "

Permissions in Face-to-face: Stress Management

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: moodle_database::get_in_or_equal() does not accept empty arrays

More information about this error

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Ivo Šmelhaus -

I get the same message when I click to "Permissions" in "Facetoface administration" block.

In reply to Ivo Šmelhaus

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Ivo and Amr,

I am unsure as to what permissions you are talking about, I have had a look and have been unable to reproduce the error. Can you give me more information on how you managed to get this error?

Thanks,
Alastair

by Ivo Šmelhaus -

Hi Alastair,
sorry for being so late. I promise managing my time better next time smile .
Today I install the latest version and tested the bugs, I have reported.
1.    The bug discussing in this thread (i.e. reported by Amr 20.1. 13:10) is Fixed smile
2.    The bug No.1 reported by me 13.1. 1:19 changed but it isn't fixed completely.
  -  After changing the name for calendar in f2f (not visible), all events disappear from calendar but after opening and saving a session, it appear again with the new name. (sure for the same user, particularly admin)
  -  After changing the name for calendar in f2f (visible), all events remain in calendar with the old name but again after opening and saving a session, the name of the particular session changes to the new, i.e. correct one.
3.    The bug No.2 is Fixed
4.    The bug No.3 and 4 reported by me 13.1. 1:19 didn't change, i.e. are open.
5.    The bug No.1 reported by me 13.1. 4:58 didn't change, i.e. are open.
6.    The bug No.2 reported by me 13.1. 4:58 never happened again, so suggest closing it.

Thanks a lot for your work and good luck for the next steps.

Ivo

by Amr Ahmed -

When the user tries to sign up in facetoface session this message appears (tried it with 2 user accounts): 

"Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View face-to-face activities and sessions)

More information about this error

"
In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Amr,

This error is shown if the capability 'mod/facetoface:view' isn't set for a role. Both Teacher and Student should have this role as it prevents any viewing of Face-to-face sessions if it is turned off. It is by default set to allow for those roles.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Amr Ahmed -

Hi Alastair,

Can you please elborate more on how we can set 'mod/facetoface:view' for a role for both teacher and student.

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Alastair Munro -

This can be done in the Site Administration menu under Users->Permissions->Define Roles

by Amr Ahmed -

Hi ALstair,

Attached is a screen shor for the error msg. Hope it's helpfull.

Thanks,

Amr

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Amr,

It took me a while to figure this one out as the theme I was using doesn't show the blocks as in your screenshot. I've now fixed this and should now work if you get the latest code from github.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Amr Ahmed -

Hello Alastair,

I updated the latest version from github, still I am getting same error message.

Regards,

Amr

Problem accessing facetoface from frontpage

by Amr Ahmed -

Hi Alastair,

I added an actvity link for facetoface on the frontpage. When I click the facetoface icon I get the following message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /home/www/tawamhospital.tadreeb24.com/mod/facetoface/index.php on line 10

In reply to Amr Ahmed

Re: Problem accessing facetoface from frontpage

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Amr,

I've fixed this error and have pushed the latest code to github.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Amr Ahmed -

Hi Alastair, 

Unofrtunately, I am still getting same error msg (Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /home/www/tawamhospital.tadreeb24.com/mod/facetoface/index.php on line 10)

Here are the steps that I followed: I deleted the previous version and installed the latest version (totara-facetoface-2.0-v2.0-0-gdc48d34). When I click notification there in no update message. However, all previous faceface sessions were there including the front page link.

Cheers,

Amr

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Amr,

I've rechecked and both these bugs are fixed in the latest version of the module. Can you check in your mod/facetoface/index.php to make sure that line number 10 is:

if (!$course = $DB->get_record('course', array('id' => $id))) {

If in your code there isn't the "array" part at the end of the line then you don't have the latest code.
Cheers,
Alastair

by Amr Ahmed -

Hi Alastair,

You were right, I did not have the latest version. The latest version seems to be working fine smile

Thanks,

Amr

Assigning Manager to a student

by Amr Ahmed -

Hi Alastair,

Can you please guide me on how I can assign a manager to a student in facetoface.

My appreciation.

Amr

by John St -

I'm getting a cron error with the latest face-to-face for 2.x. I downloaded it from github yesterday and installed on a 2.21 moodle install. It performs fine, but when I run the cron, the error below occurs and the cron fails:

Processing module function facetoface_cron ...!!! Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PHP catchable fatal error !!!
!! Argument 2 passed to moodle_database::get_record() must be an array, string given, called in /var/www/mod/facetoface/lib.php on line 880 and defined !!
!! Stack trace: * line 365 of /lib/setuplib.php: coding_exception thrown
* line 1247 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to default_error_handler()
* line 880 of /mod/facetoface/lib.php: call to moodle_database-&gt;get_record()
* line 259 of /lib/cronlib.php: call to facetoface_cron()
* line 85 of /admin/cron.php: call to cron_run()
!!

In reply to John St

by Alastair Munro -

Hi John,

I've fixed this issue, the latest version from github should now successfully run the cron.

Cheers,
Alastair

by John St -

Awesome! I'll take a look next week, thanks for the great work.

In reply to John St

by John St -

Cron works fine now, thanks! A few other notes:

I think styles.php should be styles.css

In signup.php (around line 163) the link for cancel is jacked up. Has an extra > in there and some other stuff. 

Also, how can I (in the code) set the default of "Session date/time known" to yes instead of no? 

In reply to John St

by Alastair Munro -

Hi John,

I've fixed the 'Cancel session' display issue and renamed the styles file. Also fixed display of the session info that wasn't showning up.

To make the "Session date/time known" default to yes you will have to change line 234 of session_form.php from:
$mform->setDefault('datetimeknown', false);

to:
$mform->setDefault('datetimeknown', true);

Cheers,
Alastair

by Amr Ahmed -

Hi Alastair,

When a student tries to sign up for a session the following message appears: 

"Sign-up for Photoshop course

You are currently not assigned to a manager in the system. Please contact the site administrator."

In reply to Amr Ahmed

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Amr,

This is part of the Manager approval feature of the facetoface module. If you un-check the checkbox in facetoface settings "Approval Required" then the message will no longer appear. If you do want use "manager" approval then create a user profile field with a shortname of 'managersemail' and set that to be another users email address.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Alstair,

I think there is a layout bug in the current face to face. Usually moodle will display blocks (normally) on the left and right side of an activity. But facetoface uses the whole page and there is no way to display blocks.

E.g. if you on course level add a block and in the setting select "show on all pages" then it should also appear in all activities. But in facetoface this block won't be displayed.

Greetings,

Flotter

In reply to Flotter Totte

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Flotter,

I'm not sure if its a layout bug or not. I encountered the issue you are experiencing but on changing themes the block was displayed. The theme "Fusion" is one I found to not allow blocks in the Facetoface module and Binarius did allow blocks in the module. If you still think this is a bug let me know and I'll look into it.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Is this a bug

You are currently not assigned to a manager in the system. Please contact the site administrator.

As this happens even when I am looged in as an administrator, i understand the managers email profile field but I wouldnt think that an administrator needs to have a manager assigned to them

Also when a session is created it only shows the date annd not the title.  I suppose it would be usful to use the title of the session to put it a room number or location

Cheers

by Flotter Totte -

Hi Alastair,

you where right, we changed our theme and it works now.

Flotter.

In reply to Flotter Totte

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Flotter,

This was infact a bug and it is fixed on the latest version on github. The theme you were using previously should now work.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Noor Abdulghani -

Thank you ever so much for this great work. Would you be able to add "Location" and "Room" fields?

Thanks

Noor

In reply to Noor Abdulghani

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Noor,

You can add Location and Room fields using session custom fields. These can be found on the facetoface plugin settings page.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Noor Abdulghani -

Thank you Alaistar...I was able to add fields via the plugin settings page, but in the confirmation email we get the following:

Venue:   [session:venue]

Room:   [session:room]

And it doesn't add my custom fields to the confirmation email, as I had Campus and room. None of them got included in the confirmation email. I know there is "Room" on the email, but this field was there before I even added my custom fields.

I would be gratful if you could look into this and thaks again for all the effort.

Noor

In reply to Noor Abdulghani

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Noor,

For this to work correctly you need to create custom fields that have the shortname "room", "venue" and "location" the shortname has to match exactly or it will not work.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Noor Abdulghani -

Hi Alastair,

I must thank you for all your effort and quick responses. The email works perfectly now.

Many thanks for all your support.

Noor

by Michael Mulvihill -

Hi Alastair,
I've run into some problems with Facetoface on Moodle 2.1.5 (Build: 20120312).
Facetoface is successfully installed and working. Several sessions have been set up.

However when I click on the seminar link (as admin user) to see who has signed up for this seminar I get a system error.
For example if you click the link on Attendees
/mod/facetoface/attendees.php?s=7&backtoallsessions=1

I get an error saying the  face to face module cannot read from the database.
This is on a Windows infrastructure
Web Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit, IIS 7.5
Database Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit, SQL Server 2008
All the  best,
Michael

In reply to Michael Mulvihill

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Michael,

I have tried reproducing this and have not been able to. Are you using the latest version of Face-to-face? If not I suggest you upgrade. Note that there is a separate version for the 2.1.x series of Moodle which can be downloaded from here. The latest version only works with 2.2.x series of Moodle.

Cheers,
Alastair

by Michael Mulvihill -

Hi Alastair,

thanks for that - I didn't realise that there was a differnet version for Moodle 2.1 (which we are using).

I'll change thsi over and see if this fixes the issues we have and report back.

All the best,

Michael

In reply to Michael Mulvihill

by Michael Mulvihill -

Hi Alister,

I downloaded and installed the 2.1 branch of the Moodle 2.0 Face-toFace module.

Unfortunetly I go the same error as before

/mod/facetoface/attendees.php?s=7&backtoallsessions=1 -> Error reading from database

I also noticed that the CRON script gives the following error

Processing module function facetoface_cron ...<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Invalid CRT parameters detected in <b>F:\inetpub\wwwroot\moodle_215_tmatportal\lib\moodlelib.php</b> on line <b>1729</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Invalid CRT parameters detected in <b>F:\inetpub\wwwroot\moodle_215_tmatportal\lib\moodlelib.php</b> on line <b>1729</b><br />

All the best,

Michael

by Melissa Tommarello -

Hi Alastair

I haven't seen any updates on the restore/backup issue related to Moddle 2, but I assume this is still an outstanding issue as it is not in the plugins database. Is that the case? Can you give an example of what would not be backed-up? I am just teying to understand the risks of using it in its current format.

Thanks in advance

Melissa

In reply to Melissa Tommarello

by Jeremy Schweitzer -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Melissa, When you backup/restore a course the facetoface instances just won't be backed up and won't be restorable. You can backup those tables manually using PHPMyAdmin or similiar still if you're worried about data loss.
In reply to Jeremy Schweitzer

by Melissa Tommarello -

Yes, it was data loss I was worried about. - thanks for the solution around that though!

by Alistair Spark -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Alastair

Any idea when you will be ready to commit this new version of the plugin to the plugin database?

I have tried this plugin out on our test server and would very much like to bring this onto our production server following multiple feature requests.

Thanks again for the taking the time to work on this

Alistair

by Matt Porritt -

I've installed the latest Face-to-face plugin on both Moodle 2.2.x and Moodle 2.3 and in both install I get the error below when I try to create a new session.

"ERROR: Incorrect number of query parameters. Expected 1, got 0."

Has anyone else experienced this or has been able to rectify it?

In reply to Matt Porritt

by Eric Terroux -

Same error here... I'm using Moodle 2.3.1+ . I've try to uninstall and reinstall facetoface, but I have the same error when it come to create a new session.

In reply to Eric Terroux

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the slow response on this, I've been away on holiday for 6 weeks.

First off which version of Face-to-face are you using. There is the version that is on the plugins page and also a version that can be downloaded from Github. The bug you are encountering should be fixed in the version on Github. I am in the process of fixing a few issues that came up with changes in Moodle 2.3 and hopefully will get a new version onto the module plugin page within the next week.

Cheers,
Alastair