Ajax Interface not appearing

Ajax Interface not appearing

by Rodolfo Stecher -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all, I am having problems with the chat activity, after starting the "use more accessible interface"  I never get to the Ajax interface (users on the right part of the new window, messages on the left pane, autorefreshing automatically).

Since I could not find any similar error reported here, I guess it is some configuration issue in my site. The details are the following:

I am usign Moodle 2.1.3 (Build: 20111128) on a 64Bit Ubuntu Server 11.10 ( Kernel 3.0.0-13-server)

The Moodle configuration related to Ajax&JS is:
Home/Site administration/Plugins/Activity modules/Chat -> Ajax method
Home/My profile Settings -> Ajax and Javascript = YES, use advanced web features
Home/Site administration/Appearance/AJAX and Javascript
-> Enable AJAX = ticked
-> Use online YUI libraries = unticked
-> YUI combo loading = ticked
-> Cache Javascript = ticked
-> Enable AJAX course editing = ticked

The PHP Version installed is 5.3.6-13ubuntu3.2

Thee Apache version installed is:
Server version: Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu)
Server built: Nov 7 2011 22:45:46

Apache2 Loaded Modules: 
core mod_log_config mod_logio prefork http_core mod_so mod_alias mod_auth_basic mod_authn_file mod_authz_default mod_authz_groupfile mod_authz_host mod_authz_user mod_autoindex mod_cgi mod_deflate mod_dir mod_env mod_mime mod_negotiation mod_php5 mod_reqtimeout mod_rewrite mod_setenvif mod_ssl mod_status

I am using NameVirtualHost

With a virtual host configured for Moodle with the following options:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin webmaster@domain.net

ServerName www.domain.net
ServerAlias www.domain.net domain.net

DocumentRoot /var/www/moodle
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/moodle/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride none
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error-moodle.log

LogLevel warn
CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access-moodle.log combined

</VirtualHost>

Can anyone tell me please what could be the cause of not seeing the Ajax interface in the chat? I am using a chrome browser.

Thanks,

Rodolfo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rodolfo Stecher

Re: Ajax Interface not appearing

by Steele Marcus -

Hi,

I have the same problem with Moodle 2.1.3+on Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS.

I have the same settings in Moodle.

When i want to launch the chat there is the link "use more accessible interface" but there isn't the link for the ajax chat.

In reply to Steele Marcus

by Rodolfo Stecher -

Steele,

check in your profile, Screen Reader should be set to NO

Cheers,

Rodolfo

by David Sensenig -

Thanks! I had a problem getting the interface to appear and this solved it. 

by Chad Outten -

Rodolfo,

Are you able to use ajax across the remainder of the Moodle site? I'm presuming your browser is set to allow sites to run javascript? 

Try localise the issue: test with another browser, device and moodle site.

In reply to Chad Outten

by Rodolfo Stecher -

Hi Chad,

I don't know exactly how to test if I can see ajax in some other parts of Moodle. I can see the nice editor above this text while replying, is this ajax?

I can use the advanced gmail interface, so ajax is enabled and working from my browser. I have tested my moodle site with the latest firefox, IE and Chrome, same results.

One thing that seems strange to me is that I can't see any differences in the interface when using the Ajax method or the Normal method configured for chat in Site admin / plugins / activity modules / chat. Could you please post some screenshots of how the interfaces should look like for the different cases?

I will upload the page source code of the *first* page I get to when accessing the chat (before clicking on "Use more accessible interface"), perhaps this helps in finding out why it is not automatically refreshing. The code corresponds to a plugins/activity modules/chat "Ajax method" setting.

Thanks,

rodolfo

by Rodolfo Stecher -

One more thing, I've checked the apache2 access log, and whenever I invoke the ""use more accessible interface" the gui_basic is invoked and not the gui_ajax as can be seen here:

[07/Dec/2011:09:57:03 -0300] "GET /mod/chat/gui_basic/index.php?id=3 HTTP/1.1" 200 12146 "http://www.domain.net/mod/chat/view.php?id=81" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/15.0.874.121 Safari/535.2"

[07/Dec/2011:09:57:04 -0300] "GET /theme/image.php?theme=sky_high&image=u%2Ff2&rev=194 HTTP/1.1" 200 2022 "http://www.domain.net/mod/chat/gui_basic/index.php?id=3" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/15.0.874.121 Safari/535.2"

Should not the gui_ajax be invoked instead?

Cheers,

Rodolfo

by Rodolfo Stecher -

If you set "use screen reader" to YES in your profile, then the URL for accessing the chat windows which uses Ajax does not appear.

How come the usage of Screen reader stops from seing this? Would please someone be so kind to explain to me the purpose of "screen reader" option?

Thanks,

Rodolfo

by Chad Outten -

Hi Rodolfo,

In terms of testing ajax functionality in other places across your Moodle site: in a course, as admin or teacher, try to drag and drop topics, resources, activities and blocks around the course page.

if your moodle is configured as you describe, globally and in your user profile, you should be able to move objects around the course without having to reload the page.

Chad