Broken Guest login in 2.1.2+

Broken Guest login in 2.1.2+

by Doug Cullen -
Number of replies: 4

Moodle 2.1.2+.  Brand new install in preproduction.

I want to set up some courses that allow folks to access materials without creating an account or logging in

I've checked that

1) the roles for visitors and guest is  set to guest.

2) the guest login button is set to SHOW (and it does)

3) the Allow Guest Access is set to yes

4) require guest access password is set to NO

5) the course setting HAve Guest access set to Yes and the password field is blank

And no joy. 

Unless user are logged in they can't access the course, they sre shunted to the login screen.  If the click on the Guest access button they get an invalid login error message

I've run accross the following fix for 1.9.x

Log onto the database.

You get presented with a long directory split in to 7 columns. The first column is called tables, 2nd is called actions (with 6 icons) etc, etc.

Scroll down to the mdl_user table, click the browse icon in the actions column. This throws up a new page. Find the guest account and press the pencil icon to edit. A new screen appears. Find the mnethostid field, change the value setting to 1 and then save.

My database looked good already , but I resaved it. 

This is making me crazy.

Any help will be appreciated.

Doug

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Cullen

Re: Broken Guest login in 2.1.2+

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Did you try also to enable Guest Access Enrolment method in your course? You can check it clicking on Course Administration->Users->Enrolment methods

In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Doug Cullen -

Yep, its set also

In reply to Doug Cullen

by Tony Grenda -

I had a similar issue and found out the password for the guest account was corrupted or using the wrong salt value.  I created a new MD5 hash for the password 'guest' as described in the following forum entry (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=176891).  I then pasted the value into the password field using phpmyadmin.  I was then able to login as the guest account by clicking on the 'Login as guest' button.

In reply to Doug Cullen

by Alicia Wallace -

I'm having a similar problem and found a check box in Site Administration -> Users -> Permissions -> User policies which is called "Auto-login Guests". It says "Should visitors be logged in as guests automatically when entering courses with guest access?" and default is No.

I haven't tried ticking it yet, so I don't know *exactly* what it does (I'm not part of the IT team, so I run all my changes past them before I go ahead), but I don't think you mentioned that in your list. This is in version 2.0.2+ so it may not exist on yours. Personally I'm hoping it does exactly what it says on the tin and this is no longer a problem for me, but I won't know for a while.