APS 2.0.4 Package Broken

APS 2.0.4 Package Broken

by Joe Zahaitis -
Number of replies: 4

Bold statement I know, but I have attempted multiple installs (on different domains; and each clean installs) of the package as distributed on APSStandard.org each has worked . . . sort of . . . but the installs go around the secure "moodledata" install element (putting it in HTTPDOCS without error) which one would think is a "Key" issue given my inability to get past that early element in my 2.1.2 install (and my problem in another thread) and the install causes an errant code issue when pages are added or updated where the URL becomes <domain>/x/x/view.php vs. what shoudl be happening with <domain>/x/view.php (also an issue in some other threads).  Perhaps a review of the APS package could resolve at least a few of the issues I have seen on these boards.

Was looking forward to Moodle, and given the many other packages I have installed and used in the net-sphere I gotta believe this is one than can be resolved.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Zahaitis

Re: APS 2.0.4 Package Broken

by Brian Lockwood -

A good moodle install requires a moodledata directory that is not within the web site. In a typical hosted set up this would put directories something like this.

Moodledata:  /home/username/moodledata/...

MoodleSite: /home/username/public_html/moodle/... 

This is important and should not be bypassed. I think that 1.9.x may not enforce this and v2.x may. Since I have never tried to do such an install I have not seen the error.

In reply to Brian Lockwood

by Joe Zahaitis -

This is a distribution package (APS) and, in its current incantation, has no "options" for me to change where anything is being "installed".  The package installs from Plesk (as do many other APS distributed packages - and without incident I might add) and is why I posted as I did.  If I had an option during the install I would (based on reading elsewhere and here) have put the moodledata "not" in the /httpdocs/moodle directory as the install has done.

Further (additional reason for the post here as indicated) the install somehow messes with the code and for any course edited or new page created when one selects the "save" button - the code is directed to “domain/moodle/moodle/view.php” page (which of course is at the double referenced location) and the software throws a 404 page not found error, instead of “domain/moodle/view.php” where in fact the code is located.

Again with NO options during the APS install there is no way to STOP the code from doing whatever it is doing to create the double reference - ergo my subject line. So now I am on to a direct 2.1.2 install to fix both the security issue of where "moodledata" is and to get a better install without double code error issues . . .  and now I have a whole NEW set of "moodledata" challenges .  . in another thread.

The odd part is that the 2.0.4 install went just fine - which is a far cry from the 2.1.2 install (again another thread) where I can't get past step one (make the moodledata directory . . ANYWHERE) - so my issue / conundrum is - "why does this “kind of work” in a non-secure install using an APS package, and the "nicer better and one would think more forethought" install directly . . . does not?

The frustration is I have installed many "other" packages across a wide range of functionality in the Linux sphere . . without issue, and now I feel like a noob again . . .lol.

Joe

In reply to Joe Zahaitis

by Brian Lockwood -

There are various ways in which a package could be made but it is beyond me why you would do it. However, I wonder how they are doing the database without ony being set up initially by the user?
So far as moodledata is concerned they might use somekind of loaclhost only .htaccess I suppose.

Regardless of that, what is going on here is that someone (APS?) has made a package which is not working. Whereas, my experience is that on a sensible linux base, Moodle is a very straightforward install.

The conclusion is that the APS package of Moodle2.1 is broke. That being said, I will download it and see whether it works for me. 

In reply to Brian Lockwood

by Joe Zahaitis -

Clarification before you do.

1 - 2.0.4 is the broken APS package - can be found on your Plesk install "application vault" or at - http://www.apsstandard.org/

2 - 2.1.2 is my "clean download from Moodle.org" that is giving me fits at this juncture, but I may be on the verge of a break through and will post my findings / success in that thread if it all works out.

My posting was in an attempt to make SOMEONE aware of the issue, might help on these boards, for some who are having issues, help the team (whoever that is) go back and correct what they have distributed (not sure if that is Moodle or the APS site), and just in general to give back to the community in whatever small way I can as I take this long Journey of getting Moodle up and running . . . . first . . . then I have a whole messa (yes I said messa) classes to get built and online.

More to come as it makes itself visible to me.

Joe