Skin after install

Skin after install

by Bob Brown -
Number of replies: 15

I just did a clean install of Moodle 2.0 here: http://www.fra1.net/uni

As you can see, there's something wrong with the skin/appearance. I tried changing the appearance, but it doesn't work.

Here's phpinfo for my domain: http://www.fra1.net/phpinfo.php

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Brown

Re: Skin after install

by Emanuel Delgado -

I do not have an answer for this but if it is a clean install and after a problem like this I would download the moodle source code again and make a new installation.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emanuel Delgado

by Bob Brown -

Hi I just tried that (twice) and the same thing still happens.

In reply to Bob Brown

by Matthew O'Grady -

I have had this happen also but found that replacing the config.php file with the old one caused the issue, leave the config it creates in place , or if you have left it already check the install paths inside the config.php are correct down to the last /

In reply to Matthew O'Grady

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
...and failing that:

* switch on Debugging
* right click on one of the broken images and "display in new tab/window".

What do the error messages say?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Bob Brown -

Thanks for the promt replies smile

When I was installing Moodle, I had to create my own config.php file. How do I get the 'proper' one when I re-install it?

In reply to Bob Brown

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can I ask how you managed to swap themes, as the one on your site is the Anomaly theme and not Standard theme which is usually the first to appear when newly installed.

I just cannot see how you managed to change themes with this present messed-up layout. Or is it just THIS theme which is causing all your problems?

Anomily has been causing some other errors in Moodle 2.0 but as far as I know they have been sorted out. But if this new problem is caused by the Anomaly theme then this needs to be reported as a new TRACKER Issue.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bob Brown -

I managed to swap themes as the navigation box is still visible, just in a long collapsed format down the left hand side of the page (when logged in). I tried enabling a theme to see if it would fix the skin problem, but to no avail. Every skin I try comes up with the exact same result.

The problem is not caused by the theme, as it happens in every other theme I try as well as after a fresh install of Moodle.

In reply to Bob Brown

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Bob,

I've just installed Moodle 2.0 on a webserver and all is working find. Mine fortunately was installed by a software installer called 'Softaculous'.

How did you install your Moodle 2.0? I'm just wondering if it's the same problem that happens with theme uploads. Some servers litterally screw up the PHP, overwrite it or strip it of line breaks so the code is vertually unreadable.

One way of doing a complete Moodle install is use the webtools available on yout webserver. If you have cPanel, then use this to upload the ZIP file then unistall the files directly into your folder. Then try completing the install again. You might even delete the database and start over.

This has worked in a good many cases I know of. I just wonder if this might work in your case. But it's worth a try!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bob Brown -

Hi

I installed mine manually.  My web host doesn't have Softaculous but has Fantastico, which hasn't updated its Moodle installation to 2.0 yet (it's still on 1.9.9).

I've deleted and recreated the database on my four or five install attempts by uploading the .zip file to the webserver, extracting the files and going to the path.

So thanks but I've already tired that smile

In reply to Bob Brown

by Mary Evans -

OK...

If you havn't done so...turn DEBUGGING on.Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings  It's the top box. Also set Designer Mode to ON as this stops Moodle from cacheing.

You could then try checking out theme/base/layout/general.php and theme/base/layout/frontpage.php to see if there is nothing strange about the php code. Also, check to see there are no white spaces left at the bottom of the config.php in the root directory?

The config.php has all the information needed for each page to access information from the database and also the $CFG->wwwroot without which it will get lost. So make sure all the information is correct.

You could also check to see all the theme folders/sub-folders are inplace? Theme config.php especially.

Have you made any alterations to ANY file in this new install? If you have, then the problem may be related to the type of Text Editor you used.

Have you uploaded any NEW themes to the theme folder? If so which?

The reason for me asking all these questions, is that the problem you have is caused by the fact the theme, any theme for that matter, it's not connecting to the CSS files it needs to display properly. The only CSS it's finding is from the YUI CSS files found in moodle/lib/yui/../../..

You might like to put this question "Theme not displaying after Moodle 2.0 install" on the THEMES forum. One of the Moodle Developers may be able to help you fix it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...it's a real puzzle.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bob Brown -

Hi

I tried debugging and clearing the cache, but that doesn't help.

I've double cross-checked the .php files on my server with another fresh download of Moodle 2.0, and there are no white spaces or differences.

In this particular install, I uploaded only one new theme (the one mentioned previously), but nothing changed.

No I made no alterations to any file, except for manually copying config.php during the install. I have a suspicion that the config.php may be the problem, as it could not automatically create it during any of my installations and had to be manually created. Like I asked a few replies ago, how can I tell if the config.php that I manually created is the correct one?

In reply to Bob Brown

by Mary Evans -

You mentioned a new theme, but I don't see the name of it mentioned anywhere. Can you tell me the name of it as there may be something in that theme which is blocking the system. Moodle 2.0 can be like that...very sensitive to change.

The only theme name in this forum thread is Anomaly, but this theme is part of the Moodle CORE themes you did not need to upload it, anyway, as far as I know there is no Anomaly theme download for Moodle 2.0 so if you did upload Anomaly you must have uploaded the 1.9 version!

As for the config.php for the install. I assume you used config_dist.php as the template and then renamed it to config.php? As long as you followed the correct procedure, we have to assume it's OK. However. Attached is a copy of an empty config.php for my localhost server. You can compare it to what you have.

I see you have added a question on Themes forum. OK I'll go and comment there if no one else has...to keep it at the top of the stack!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julio Lopez -

Hi Mary,

I'm having a similar problem on my moodle site, theme is not showing up after a clean install.

I've read dozens of posts about this on this forum and tried all the suggestions I've found with no luck. I haven't got even a clue what could put me on the right direction... until now.

You said "You could then try checking out theme/base/layout/general.php and theme/base/layout/frontpage.php to see if there is nothing strange about the php code". Well, I've done that and got a Fatal error on both urls:

Call to a member function has_navbar() on a non-object in general.php

and

Call to a member function region_has_content() on a non-object in fronpage.php.

I've looked for some info on what this error could mean and why I'm getting it, but havent found anything. Could you give some help on this? Do you have any idea about why this errors are happening and what I could do to fix them?

I've installed the latest version of moodle 2.1.2 on a Linux server running php5.3.8. I've checked several times the php requirements and settings, and mod_security has been disabled (I saw this is a common cause of this problem).

Thanks a lot,

Julio

In reply to Julio Lopez

by Brian Lockwood -

I am not sure that this is an error. I suspect you would get errors on any moodle if you went to those pages with no parameters.

In reply to Brian Lockwood

by Julio Lopez -

Maybe you're right, although I couldn't figure out what kind of parameters are these scripts waiting...

Any idea about how I can check them out as suggested above? I could get a theme-like aspect, but images are still not displayed...

Deeper details about my problem here

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=188419

Many thanks,

Julio