upgrade question regarding ~250 gigs of moodledata

upgrade question regarding ~250 gigs of moodledata

by Seth Chevalier -
Number of replies: 3

We are currently testing out an upgrade from 1.9.5 to 2.1.1+. We were successful upgrading with 8 gigs of moodledata and now we are attempting the entire 250 gigs of moodledata. However, even with very liberal php settings (12 hours) we are running into the issue where the upgrade appears to be running but the browser no longer shows any activity or updates us on the status after about 2 hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Seth Chevalier

Re: upgrade question regarding ~250 gigs of moodledata

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Don't do the upgrade with the broswer. Do it from the command-line http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Administration_via_command_line

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Seth Chevalier -

Thanks for the tip! We were actually able to complete the upgrade test using the browser regardless. It just took a couple of tries. But in the future I will use the cmd line.

In reply to Seth Chevalier

by Hal MacLean -

Seth - would you be willing to share the method you used? I am faced with a similar situation - upgrade from 1.9.9 to 2.1 with thousands of users, hundreds of courses and a very modest 4.5Gb of data (a minute amount compared to you!)

I have moved to a test machine to check the integrity of the 1.9 installation and have lost the link between the course activity and the associated file in the moodle data folder (specifically, SCORM objects) - they are all in the data folder, just don't run from the course area, with a message saying the file is missing.

What did you do to overcome this kind of issue?

Happy to take this discussion offline if you like...