Examview to Moodle: My short answer questions turned into an essay question. Why?

Examview to Moodle: My short answer questions turned into an essay question. Why?

by Graham Johnson -
Number of replies: 2

Hello again!

I imported my questions from Examview into Moodle (1.9.5) and my short answer question turned into Essay questions. Can I change them back or is there something i should do before I import it into Moodle?

Thanks for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Johnson

Re: Examview to Moodle: My short answer questions turned into an essay question. Why?

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

We can call that "a feature" smile of the Examview import format.

The problem is that there is not always an exact Moodle question type to match the Examview question types.

Examview create questions that are exported with the type QUESTION_ESSAY. these questions  have both a TEXT and an ANSWER

Here is an example (that you will recognize wink ) :

TEXT : What is the domain and range of the relation graphed below?

ANSWER Domain: {-2, -1, 1,3, 4, 5, 6} Range: {-1, 0, 1, 2, 3}

How should we import it in Moodle ?

If we import it as a short answer it will be automatically graded but if the student response is not exactly as the one above it will be considered as wrong. For instance if he write Domain= rather than Domain: he will not be granted the mark for a good response (and I aml quite sure he will complain to you sad !)

The solution can be to include in the response a lot of * (see short answer help) or use some kind of regular expression.

In any case the question will require some editing to be in a usable form.

If we import it as an essay question it will of course require a manual grading wich can be quite a great disadvantage if you have many students, but the advantage is that you will be able to decide if the student response is right or not.

In the version of the import format that I have done for Moodle 2.1 I put the ANSWER given by Examview in a moodle field named "Instructions for graders" because I think teacher will be able to grade students response very quickly seing the right response on screen  and also that they will be able to very quickly copy and paste this response as a comment to the student.

Unfortunately this field doesn't exist in Moodle 1.9/2.0 so the answer is lost during the import.

As you see both methods have benefits and drawbacks.

If you want all your QUESTION_ESSAY be imported in Moodle as shortanswer ones there are very few changes to do to the import format I think there is a video in that thread explaining the changes needed in the format.php file. If you are unsure on how to edit a php file, I can do it for you and send you the modified file (you will have to again ask your administrator to put it on the server smile)

Another example illustrating the challenge to convert some of  your questions to short answer :

TEXT : 100 samples of size 20 are selected from a large population. Use the number line supplied to construct a 90% box plot for the given data. 

ANSWER:

Here clearly we can't count on a short answer automatic grading !!

By the way: as you see I have studied the content of your file and I find the questions quite interesting for some of my courses. I am interested in translating them in french and using them. Is their any copyright issues on these questions ?

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

Re: Examview to Moodle: My short answer questions turned into an essay question. Why?

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

I forgot to say that some of your questions are currently not doable in Moodle Quiz even as an essay question :

TEXT Graph the function  f(x) = 3 - 5x on the grid in the response form.

Currently there is no mean to put anything in the response field at question creation so we can't put the grid in the response field. A workaround would be to put it in the text of the question and the student would copy and paste it in in his response.

But for the student to add the line on the grid you would need some kind of tool that is not available in the quiz for the moment. (maybe there are some third party question types that could be used ?)