Managing who sees which course

Managing who sees which course

by Amy Severson -
Number of replies: 11

We are using moodle 1.9.3 currently.

I have, say, 20 courses in one category (let's call them course1, course2, etc). We have a third-party system that enrolls our users (so they sign up on third party site, which takes their money, and adds the user to the apppropriate course).

When UserGeorge logs into to Moodle, I'd like him to see ONLY the courses that he's enrolled in. So course3 and course18, for example. I do not want him to see the other courses.

He'll login multiple times over the next year, and has access to say 4 different courses, so I need to have one URL to our Moodle site (www.ourmoodlesite.com, for example), and UserGeorge to see the 4 courses he's enrolled in.

I don't want him to see courses1 through 20, because he'll get overwhelmed and perhaps forget which ones he's signed up for, and then not participate at all. I really, really need a streamlined experience for UserGeorge.

I've tried to figure out which course settings to use, but if I hide it, it's hidden from EVERYONE? which is crazy - I only want to hide a course from the unenrolled.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amy Severson

Re: Managing who sees which course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi. This is natuaral behaviour in Moodle -once a user is enrolled in courses he only has them in his list of courses. When he is not enrolled he sees all categories and all courses(like you as admin), but once he has been enrolled into a course or more, he just sees those. Ok - so is your Moodle set up differently from this? Do you use the "my courses" block? That will help him. Or do you have courses on the front page when logged in? Again -he will just see his when enrolled in some.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Amy Severson -

Hi Mary; I must have some different settings. I have the Course on the FrontPage when logged in, and I don't have an option for MyCourses.

In Admin> FrontPage >FrontPage Settings, I have the option to show: News Items, List of Courses, List of Categories, Combo List or None.

Student users can see all courses, and if they click on one they aren't enrolled in, they get the message "This course is not enrollable" (because we're sending them though a third party software to register and pay for specific courses).

So I could add this MyCourses Module to the centre column, and remove the list of courses? That could work... Is it the same thing as MyMoodle?

Thanks! the book that I've got doesn't mention how to add or edit MyCourses, and I keep getting lost in Moodle.org smile

In reply to Amy Severson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there - what I am saying is if you remove the list of courses and instead, turn on the editing on the front page, click "add block" and add the block called "courses" (not my courses, sorry, but when students access it, it then does call itself "my courses") then they will just see the courses in which they have already been enrolled. You can't move it to the centre though sorry.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Shelley Finerty -

We have a similar situation here.  I have My Moodle as the landing page for the site so that students only see their courses and activities they have due - this is great (although we have some concern over how long this list will grow over time).

When you set My Moodle as the landing page, a link to Site Home shows up in the Navigation block.  That links to all courses (we have this set to show Combo List) which shows all the categories and courses regardless if the student is enrolled in them or not. 

What would be more helpful here, would be the ability to only show those categories/courses a student is enrolled in since they can't access courses they are not enrolled in anyway.  I understand that some institutions use Moodle to promote all of their courses by listing them all, but for other  students, who enroll in a program that contains all their courses, it's too overwhelming to try to find their courses in that long list.

While students may not need to use the Site Home if they have the My Moodle page and their courses listed under 'My Courses' in the Navigation menu, we need to keep this Site Home link (and I'm trying different ways to provide this list) for Managers who need access to all of the courses, which is really who benefits from this long list.

One of the things I've tried is using the Courses block and setting the permissions so that only Manager's can view it (because it is a duplicate for students).  When I removed Student access to this block, I was shocked to find that I had to assign every student to that role in that block context in order to stop students from viewing it.  Isn't there a way to assign a 'role' to a block and have everyone using that role in the system be the only ones to view it?

We have also tried using the contributed 'Course Menu Block' and can set it up to do what we need and could then hide the Navigation menu but that seems to be a lot of trouble to go around the navigation system.

Simple requirements are these:

1) We don't want students to see the Site Home long list of categories/courses - only the ones they are enrolled in or not at all as it is confusing (ie. remove the Site Home link for students somehow)

2) We do need Managers to see the big long list but only the categories we've given them access to.  All other categories should not be seen.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks and I really appreciate your expertise and continued efforts.  We really enjoy working with Moodle and hope this type of feedback is helpful.

Shelley smile

In reply to Shelley Finerty

by Ann Adamcik -

By default, logged-in users should only be seeing the courses that they are enrolled in on the front page listing. If your users are seeing all courses, you've got something set up differently. 

What settings do you have under Site Administration->Users->Permissions->User Policies? What about the default frontpage role in Front page settings? Are your users assigned to roles in the system or front page contexts? Have you modified any permissions?

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by François Lizotte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry Ann, but logged-in users will see all courses if they are listed on the front page.

It is normal since the default enrollment mode in Moodle is self-registration. One needs to see all courses in order to self-register.

If you a have an enrollment system, then you can force My Moodle and have only the courses a student is enrolled in displayed (sorry for the syntax).

Moreover, you might want to have combo-mode: official courses et self-registration courses. Let's say you have a special student activity that might interest the whole campus or a wide range of student, self-registration is a good idea.

BTW I noticed a link at the bottom of the course block that allows access to all courses.

François

In reply to François Lizotte

by Ann Adamcik -

Ah, my bad. We have self-registration / self-enrollment disabled, and our users do only see the courses that they are currently enrolled in on the front page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ann Adamcik

by François Lizotte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry Ann.  Shame on me.

Once logged-in, a student will only see courses he is registered in on the front page. A button will give him access to all courses.

my courses

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Shelley Finerty -

Thanks for your quick response.  Students do only see the courses they are enrolled in but they see all of the categories regardless.  I'd like them to only see the categories they are enrolled in courses under.   Right now, all the categories show up whether they are enrolled in a course in that category or not.  Are you saying that they shouldn't be able to see any of the categories if they are not enrolled in a course in that category?

No students are assigned to any roles in the system or front page contexts.  We have changed minor permissions for students (don't allow them to modify the blocks on the My Moodle page).

Attachment moodle user policy.png

by Ann Adamcik -

Okay, after a bit more testing, it appears that if you are showing the 'Combo list' or 'List of Categories' (in Front page settings), all courses are shown. If you instead show 'List of courses', users who are enrolled in courses will only see their own courses. Hope that helps.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jim Streicher -

Shelley,

I read your post, and we have this very same need.  Have you found a resolution to this yet?  I have searched everywhere, but to no avail. I know I am way late to the conversation, but was hoping for a resolution.

Best regards

Jim