Quiz Mod Problems

Quiz Mod Problems

by Frank Zittle -
Number of replies: 13
I just installed on a new server and I'm getting a couple of wierd quiz things happen:

1) Many of my teachers are getting other teachers quiz categories in thier course.

2) I have been unable to export a quiz.

Does anyone have a solution? If I re-install Moodle or the quiz module will I erase all of teacher's quizzes?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Zittle

Re: Quiz Mod Problems

by James Depow -

Hi Frank,

I suspect the reason teachers are able to see quiz categories from other teachers is the categories are Published.  They categories can be edited so they remain within the course and not available to other courses.

See the attached file for a screenshot.

Jim

In reply to James Depow

by Frank Zittle -
Thanks Jim...That's it. What about the saving problem? Any ideas?
In reply to Frank Zittle

by James Depow -

Hi Frank,

I am not sure what you mean by saving.  You can export your questions to a file using the export button on the editing quiz page (see screen shot).

Jim

In reply to James Depow

by Frank Zittle -
Yes...export is what I mean. I get through all of the screens but I keep waiting for it to ask where do I want to export the quiz to? Is there a specific default location where the files gets saved or is something wrong with my module? 
In reply to Frank Zittle

by Dennis Daniels -
Yeh, I'll second that one. Export has worked for me exactly once and the data was so garbled that I couldn't use it elsewhere...

It would be very very nice if the quiz export went straight to //http:mymoodlesite.com/quiz_exportXXXXXXX.txt

for quick save for reloading elsewhere. Writing to another file in Moodle seems to work less than seamlessly.

We're using 1.4.3 and none of our teachers have ever successfully exported quiz questions.
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Talk to me!!! Other than not being able to find the output file (is *that* all) can you give me some more info on why export doesn't work for you. 
In reply to Frank Zittle

by James Depow -

Hi Frank,

When I export mine in GIFT format, they are stored in a directory called QUIZ in the main file database of the course from which I exported them.

Jim

In reply to James Depow

by Frank Zittle -
Yes...export is what I mean. I get through all of the screens but I keep waiting for it to ask where do I want to export the quiz to? Is there a specific default location where the files gets saved or is something wrong with my module? 
In reply to Frank Zittle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes - they get sent to a folder called 'quiz' in the course files area. I know this is not exactly intuitive! I need to fix this - I guess the choice is either to take you to the files screen in the correct place (like backup does) or to simply invite you to download the file to your machines, or both!! Any comments or thoughts on this appreciated.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Dennis Daniels -
Exporting straight to a web page... quiz.txt would be a great first step! Then writing to another directory in moodle would be cool!

I've got over a thousand questions now in quiz but I can't get at any of them via the moodle GUI...

Exporting to a webpage as a .txt would be a great great first step!

Denny
In reply to Howard Miller

by Alberto Scocco -
After the export, I can't find the text file in the course directory.
Why?! sad

The best solution could be a panel that allows you to choose if you want to locally download the exported file wink
In reply to Alberto Scocco

by ArVee Gee -
I'd like to second the above, using a local server, I am not able to export the quizzez. It does creating a txt file but it was blank.

Kindly check... The version that I am using was 1.5 latest one...
In reply to ArVee Gee

by Timothy Takemoto -
My GIFTS seem to be exported to folder called tests not quiz. Strange that.

Dear Arvee
Did you have any random questions or unsupported question types in the category that you were exporting? It used to be the case that if you had random questions in the category then the quiz would not be exported, but this problem has been cured recently - thanks Howard.

Timothy