Gradebook Problem

Gradebook Problem

by Samantha Ashton -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

We've had a member of staff come to use, and told us that he was just been checking his grades and they have changed.

This is the message he sent through:

"When I mark a students work I have a drop down list where I can set the students overall GRADE for an assignment.  This is either Refer/Pass/Merit/Distinction.  It appears that all of my grades have been escalated or shunted, so now a previous Referral has become a Pass, a Pass has become a Merit and so on, this is a completely false representation of students REAL grades.  The grade books have to be completely accurate."

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, do they know what causes it.

Any help will be highly appreciated

Kind Regards
Sam

In reply to Samantha Ashton

Re: Gradebook Problem

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Sam,

If all of the grades for this assignment have shifted, I wonder if the scale in use for the assignment has been changed (after the grades were assigned)?  I just ran a quick test where I set up a scale matching yours, set up an assignment using that scale, assigned some grades, then changed to another scale (P/M/D/R instead of R/P/M/D) and the grades all changed to the one in the same position in the new list as the grade I assigned in the initial list (i.e. R became P, P became M, etc - as per your scenario).  If this is the case, changing the assignment back to the original scale should correct the grades (though of course any grades assigned after the switch would then be wrong).

My first thought was actually that the scale itself had been edited, but you can't edit scales which are in use - so I moved on to the idea of changing the scale assigned to the assignment.

HTH,
Paul