Some basic questions

Some basic questions

by Michael Karlsson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have a handful of basic questions since I'm new to this, but using Moodle for a course I'm teaching. I would be greateful for any reply.

I understand that Moodle is a VLE, similar to Blackboard, FirstClass and other, but I'm a bit unclear of which tools people are using for creating their content to put on Moodle.

I have realise that SCORM compatibility is an important issue. Could I for instance use Adobe e-learning suite to create my content that would go on Moodle? How important is the SCORM compatibility? I assume that there is a huge number of various programs out there to create material to put on Moodle, but are there any 'favoured' programs that work well with Moodle? Ideally I'm looking for something that is as easy as possible to use, and it is ok if it costs money.

Thanks in advance,

M

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Karlsson

Re: Some basic questions

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well just a quick answer - one of the things about Moodle is you don't need to have SCORM programs or the like as you can make your content using Moodle's built in tools - assessment, collaboration , presentation, bloggin, reflection - etc etc - all these are possible with Moodle assignments,wikis,surveys,forums , webpages, choices and much more. I would investigate what Moodle  has already before looking to external content

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Karlsson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In a sense you are asking the wrong question.

The whole point of the internet is that it is a way for people to communicate when they otherwise couldn't.

For example, you wanted to learn something about Moodle, and you were able to come here, and ask you specific question in a forum.

So, what I am saying is, when moving your course online, try to think less about content, and more about the activities you want your students to undertake, and the tools you want to provide them with.

But you do need some content. You don't need to use anything particularly elaborate to create it (although you can if you choose to). As Mary says, you can just type it straight into Moodle in several ways. YOu can also just use your favourite Word or Powerpoint to make documents, and upload them (providing students have the necessary software to view them. Save as PDF?).

The other useful tool for 'creating' content is Google. Why create something yourself if there is interesting 'real' stuff out there that you can just link to? (Although finding appropriate stuff can be more work than just writing it yourself.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Just to confuse this issue further..tongueout At one of my previous locations, the region has amongst the lowest mean income levels in the country. Not everyone has wealth to spare for an Internet connection. This school decided that the better option was to use Moodle as both a source of content and a provider of as many varied activities in all subject areas as they could. Teachers would generate their own, agreed, content, usually from their existing resources, mostly electronic, and each teacher would use their own activities based on the agreed materials.

In some subjects this was a difficult choice, as many teachers were unfamiliar with using the Moodle and were stuck in the pdf resource, word worksheet model endlessly repeating itself. Some were providing lots of content, but not a single activity on the Moodle. Last I talked to someone from that school, it was getting better, but it is taking time.

Essentially, you can use, or not use, Moodle features as you see your need developing. Sometimes you need to experiment with different ideas. One thought is to use Hot Potatoes to generate quizzes, rather than Moodle's internal quiz maker, My suggestion is to construct modules that allow an easy integration with other popular PHP applications, rather than try to reinvent the wheel, (that is a Moodle issue though, not a User one). As long as Moodle can provide tools and  opportunities to create activies used in conjunction with accessible resources, it does not really matter. What does matter is you use Moodle however you feel comfortable with, and then as you get more confident, expand what you can do with it, but always remember, the Clients, the students, are the arbiters of what works and what does not, so always listen to them.