Is Moodle for me?

Is Moodle for me?

by will crawford -
Number of replies: 5

I think I am posting in the right forum now.  I am taking over a college program that has been traditionally a face to face teaching environment.  I am in one city while the program is in another city.  I would like to use lecture capture software and a CMS to deliver the curriculum online.  I will also be teaching some corporate education courses to different types of businesses and would like to use this same type of delivery. Can Moodle meet my needs or is there another way I should go.  Any help, advice, or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to will crawford

Re: Is Moodle for me?

by Mike Forbes -

Will, I have been doing online courses for almost 5 years now that are accessed by students all over the western US. WHile I have been using a commercial program to write the courses and a LMS to deliver them I am exploring Moodle as my LMS replacement. Depending upon your specific needs you should be able to use Moodle very successfuly as have many other colleges and universitys. Your only limitiations could be in how much of the administration do you want to handle and do you know how to put together a online program. (I don't know what lecture capture software is but would like to?)

Mike

In reply to Mike Forbes

by will crawford -

Mike,

Lecture Capture programs such as Panopto, Camtasia, etc, allow you to actually capture the lecture(Web cam), Power Points(or anything else used on the computer), a Doc Cam, and any other media source all at once.  Everything can be recorded in coordination.  The final file can be uploaded into your CMS as a standalone lecture for an online course.  It can also be uploaded for those that missed class.  The possibilities with this technology are many.  i know of a University that charges an extra student fee for those that want to take the Lecture Capture version of the course.  The student has the option to come to the face to face class or not. The face regular face to face students that are not enrolled in the Lecture Capture section do not have access to it.  From what I have read so far, it seems as if Panopto intergrates pretty easy with Moodle.      

In reply to will crawford

by Michael Berger -

Hi Will, hopefully it isn't frowned upon for vendors to chime in on this forum.  I came across this post via a Google News Alert on the term "lecture capture" and thought I'd quickly chime in.

Tegrity tightly integrates with Moodle, making the lecture capture process and associated workflow completely automatic.  It pulls user, role, course and enrollment data from Moodle in real-time so you don't have to set up any of that data manually.  When you record, the content is automatically uploaded to the right course for enrolled students to access securely (either live or asynchronously) through links within Moodle.

We've got quite a few institutions using Moodle and Tegrity successfully today.  One such institution is the Thunderbird School of Global Management.

Here is a sample recording from that school.  Please contact us if you'd like more information.

Thanks,
Mike

www.tegrity.com

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Berger

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

(Just to note that when it is a natural part of answering someone's question, it is fine to mention your product or service. So, this post is fine. For more see Policy_on_Advertising.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The last three schools I have been at, one country and two urban, have used Moodle extensively as a way of involving students from some distances away, in learning activities, including Japan - English taught in an Australian school to Japanese students.. on line, real time video confrenceing. The Japanese school was so impressed they recipricated with Japanese being taught to Australian students by Japanese teachers... The issue I think is how to make this a more permanent feature of two curricula. The use of Moodle was integral to these classes, even if just one-offs, but it reveals the potential.