Grading several essays for 1 student at a time

Grading several essays for 1 student at a time

by Kimber Warden -
Number of replies: 3

We are migrating from a non-SCORM compliant LMS. Our old courses utilize a lot of "worksheets" with multiple short essay questions, and our teachers are able to grade an entire worksheet for one student at a time, which works well for us.

I've tried to have the same functionality in Moodle (2.0) by creating quizzes with multiple essay questions. As far as I can tell, it's not possible. At least not with quizzes. Quizzes facilitate grading of a single essay question for multiple students. (e.g. Essay question 1 for all students, but not Essay questions 1-5 for John Smith). This doesn't work for us because we are asynchronous and it's rare to have multiple students submit the same worksheet/quiz at once.

Is my perception accurate, or have I missed something? Is there some other creative way to accomplish our goal, perhaps using another activity type? We've tried using uploadable Word documents, but that only allows the teacher to assign an overall score, rather than a score for each essay.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In reply to Kimber Warden

Re: Grading several essays for 1 student at a time

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Your perception is accurate, I am afraid. I don't have any very good suggestions. I hope someone else does. (With a bit of PHP coding, it would be possible implement something, but you would need to find someone with time + ability + inclination.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kimber Warden -

We'd gladly pay for a professional to write in such functionality. But where do we find such a person? I don't even know where to begin. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

In reply to Kimber Warden

by Elena Ivanova -

You can post here in Moodle Jobs , or on LinkedIn.
Overall, php is not a hard programming language, so you can also check with local contractors smile

But to make sure we are on the same page here - when instructor clicks on the the individual student attempt in the Quiz interface, he should be able to see all essay answers of this student on one page.

Go to Quiz > Results > Review Attempt for some student, start clicking "Make comment or override grade" links for each answer provided, and grade them one-by-one in the pop-up windows. (Yes, this would require a click for each answer, but no development ;))