Saving or exporting student discussion forum posts as a text file

Saving or exporting student discussion forum posts as a text file

by Mark Matsune -
Number of replies: 4

I would like to save or export the complete set of student postings from a course discussion forum as a bulk text file. The discussion forum is located on my website’s frontpage. I plan to use the student postings as data for my research.

I have already saved backup zip files of the forums (including the moodle xml document), but cannot regenerate the complete set of topics and replies in a text file form.

I have checked various references, but have not found a simple solution. Can someone tell me if this is possible? I would really appreciate any advice.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Matsune

Re: Saving or exporting student discussion forum posts as a text file

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mark,

If you're using Moodle 2.0, you can enable portfolios then make use of the export to portfolio feature to export forum posts.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mark Matsune -

Hi Helen,

Thanks very much for the quick response. Unfortunately my web hosting service is using Moodle 1.9.10.

Can I enable portfolios with this version?

Again, thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cheers,

Mark

In reply to Mark Matsune

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Portfolios are a new feature in Moodle 2.0 onwards, so for 1.9.10 you'd need to look for a custom solution, perhaps MDL-9469.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mark Matsune -

Hi again Helen,

I appreciate the new advice. Unfortunately I don't think I have the confidence or proficiency to try the custom solution listed above. I think I will wait until my web hosting service upgrades to Moodle 2.0 and then I will try your initial suggestion. Thanks again for your responses.