1.8.14 Installation error - ml-8159

1.8.14 Installation error - ml-8159

by Craig Adams -
Number of replies: 2

Hi everyone,

Complete newbie trying to install moodle 1.8.14 on server. tried 2.0 and had wrong version of mysql and had to backtrack to 1.8. Got it all going good until I try to login as admin and get "Query failed in load_user_capability." I have found the info for it in ml 8159 i think but can't work out whether I need to manually chnage entries in db or down load a patch or what. Can someone explain to me how to read the fix or direct me to a thread where I can figure it out. Sorry to be a painful newbie!!!

Creigster

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Craig Adams

Re: 1.8.14 Installation error - ml-8159

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Who's server? Yours? Company or host? If it is a company server, I seriously recommend that you urge your organization to update their MySQL, security improvements alone make it worthwhile. While they are at it, how about their PHP version? v5.3.3 is out (and I seem to recall seing a PHP v6.x being spoken about, but I am not sure what this is or when). Any organization really needs to make sure that these things are either current or near current or are updated regularly, at least annually. If it is a hosted situation, I would suggest that you run, as quickly as you can to another host, as the host is not doing the right thing by its clientele.

Now for the really bad news... Support for Moodle 1.8.4 has been discontinued as of last December I believe.

You also have me baffled, you talked about MySQL yet the error you wrote about Item MDL-8159, was a duplicate of MDL-8160 and that relates to Oracle and PostGreSQL environments, not MySQL. There is no patch as far as I can tell, and that means you will have to change the query, which means you will have to find it. So, are you sure the DBMS is MySQL?

Or perhaps you can update to Moodle 1.9.11, which might actually be easier, after your DBMS is updated. Or if you are really new, and have no courses at all, then go to v2.0.x, which is really very good and a great place to be starting from if you or your Users have not used Moodle before.

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: 1.8.14 Installation error - ml-8159

by Craig Adams -

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back to me, sorry to be a pain. I tried originally on an external host with 2.0 and their mysql was not up to date and so had to uninstall. Then went to 1.8 as the version of mysql looked compatible but got this error. Then tried with xampp on my laptop under vista with the standalone windows demo  and had it going for a while but it has now crashed as well. Given that I am trying to evaluate this for a very technology illiterate school I think I will start again with a newer version on the laptop first and see if I can get this going.

Thanks for your help,

Creig Adams