simple question: How do I disable "my private files"

simple question: How do I disable "my private files"

by Gilles Gagnon -
Number of replies: 36

Hi,

I'd like to disable the "my private files" feature for my students.

Where is the setting hidden?

Thanks in advance!
G

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gilles Gagnon

Re: simple question: How do I disable "my private files"

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can disable private files for everyone in site admin>plugins>repositories>manage repositories. If you only want to disable it for students I will have to think again re permissions etc

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gilles Gagnon -

Thanks Mary,

Yes, the teacher/admin still needs to upload. I need it disabled only for students.

Thanks for helping out.

Gilles

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ok well I haven't tested this but how about going to site admin>users>permissions>define roles and then choosing student and setting the capabilty to view private files to "prohibit"?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gilles Gagnon -

Thansk Mary,

I thought were were onto something. in the list you of permissions that you led me to (thank you!) i found this entry in Repository: Private files:

Manage files on own private file area

and

Repository: Upload a file Use uploading in file picker

set them both to "prohibit" and thought I had it. Alas, it made no differences. I find this quite strange.

Any othe ideas?

Cheers,

Gilles

by Mary Cooch -

I think if you set this one to prohibit it should work:

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gilles Gagnon -

Hi Mary,

this is the one I changed, as well as the "Repository: Upload a file"

I logged out, logged back in, just to be sure... and I can still upload and view files in the "my private" files arae.

any idea why that is?

Gilles

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Gilles

What log in are you using when you are doing this? All I did was change the view private files to prohibit - I then logged in with a student account and I could no longer see the private files link in the file picker or my profile.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gilles Gagnon -

Maybe this is where I'm going wrong.

I thought it was a "student" account but maybe it's not.  I just created the account. I went into the accounts list and selected this user. In the settings, I don't see the "type" of account.

Where do I find/set the the account type of "student" for this user?

Gilles

by Mary Cooch -

Ok- one step at a time:

* did you go to users>permission>define roles, choose student and then change the capability to view private files to prohibit?

* Did you then make an account and add this person into a course as a student?

* Then did you try in that course with the student login to access private files in the file picker -say from a forum post for instance, or in their own profile?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gilles Gagnon -

Hi Mary, Yes, I did.

1. student role defined with prohibit (see screen cap)
2. acccount is enrolled in a course
3. I can still see the private file upload (see screee cap 2)

Any tips?

Attachment Capture-moodle-repository.JPG
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gilles Gagnon -

Hi Mary, Yes, I did.

1. student role defined with prohibit. set the following 3 to "prohibit"

Manage files on own private file areasmoodle/user:manageownfiles

Use uploading in file pickerrepository/upload:view

View user private filesrepository/user:view

2. acccount is enrolled in a course
3. I can still see the private file upload (see screee cap)

Any tips?

Attachment Capture-moodle-filepicker.JPG

by Jiri Princ -

Hi,

please have you found any solution for this? I have the same problem.

Thank you for help

Jiri

In reply to Jiri Princ

by Mary Cooch -

Gilles - Jiri - I have just looked at this again. What you need to do  -and I should have thought it out in advance -is to create a new, system role - called something like "no private files" and then in that role disallow the user from viewing or managing their private files. Then you assign the role site wide to students and when they log in, although they can see the private files link in their naviation like in Gille's screenshot above it gives them a message as follows:

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jiri Princ -

Hi,

thank you for answer but please - what do you mean by "assign the role site wide" - I have lots of studens and it is not the only role I have to manage like this. Probably it is very stupid question but I want to be sure.

And can I do the same trick for repository (I need repository for one role but only for that one and no other ... but they everyone can see that or even delete the repository)?

Or even - hide the My profile link for some users?

Thanks

Jiri

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Ward -

Well I have gotten this far with the permissions but having a redundant link left inside Navigation isnt really a great option.

I'm amazed that this is so difficult to achieve, the developers must have considered that for a medium to large site it would be a very bad idea to allow students to upload whatever files they wanted to the server (free hosting all round!).

The biggest selling point for Moodle 2 in my opinion is that it is properly modular, but things like this undo that good work and leave us hacking code to hide options that should be disabled through the plugins menu.

In reply to Mark Ward

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mark,

The developers don't often read these forums so if you think this is something that should be changed, go to the Tracker, create yourself an account and add a new issue. Maybe check first that there isn't already one on the same subject.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Michelle Leung -

Hi all,

I agreed that there should have such option in the system.  Thus, I created issue (MDL-26967) for this in the Tracker.  Please vote for it.

Thanks.

In reply to Michelle Leung

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for creating the issue. I don't know why but your link didn't work.

Here it is again: MDL-26967 (Moodle creates the link automatically if you just type the reference).

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mark Ward -

Heh, just found that separately and commented on it.. it would make a lot of sense to have private file options hidden if you disable that repository type.

In reply to Mark Ward

by Claire Browne -

Hello,

Is it possible for Administrators to see everyone's private files?

I am worried that students may upload content which is inappropriate for school/college.

Is there a way to delete content from their private files?

In reply to Claire Browne

by Mary Cooch -

I can't think offhand of a way to see them but as a last resort - privacy issues considered - the admin can log in as a student and see them that way.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jel Coward -

Hi Mary et al

I found this thread whilst searching for how to prevent users uploading documents.

I am very lucky to have some very kind folks host my moodle 2.x site for me for free........and I don't want to impose on their server space with students uploading whatever they choose.

So, I need to disable the abiltity for students (actually could be everyone, I guess) to upload files to My Private Files.

I tried a couple of things that were suggested to me...(I disabled Private files repository (Site Administration | Plugins | Repositories | Manage repositories the selected Disabled next to Private Files).......but that didn't work.

I also tried seeing how I can change the permission that allows Private file uploading in the Student Role course wide.....but I could not see how to do this, it says the permission is 'Not set' and my only option seems to be to change it to Allow'.

So......does the above solution still apply?  ie do I have to create a new Role and assign it to the student role course wide......or is there  a more intuitive way of say 'The Student Role is not allowed to do this'.

Thanks for any input....I have been pulling my hair out a bit with this today (and as the years go by, that resource is getting a bit scarce smile

Cheers

Jel

A couple of things were suggested to me by others....but no cigar.

I

In reply to Jel Coward

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Jel. I think if you follow the instructions in my post above from - Sunday, 13 February 2011, 11:07 AM then it should do what you want to do , ie stop students being able to upload to private files. Or did you try this already?

EDIT - I just looked at the referenced tracker entries and they seem to suggest this is fixed - what version of Moodle 2.0 are  you using? (mine is from before 30 March so I can't check this currently)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jel Coward -

Hi Mary

No, I haven't tried your solution yet (I had intended to write that - sorry!).

I am using v.2.02  Build 2011022100

So I have a feeling that I too am pre-fix.

I think I will request an update and see if it works - and if not then I will try your fix.

Thanks so much for the great support you provide around here!

Jel

In reply to Jel Coward

by Jel Coward -

Hi Mary

I now have the latest build and the bug is fixed - I set the following:

Student
Prohibit - Manage files on own private file areas, View user private files, Use uploading in file picker

.....and I did the same for Authenticated user (although I am not sure why ......I think that is some kind of default role so I thought it good to restrict it in there too.......if anyone knows any reason for this to be a bad idea then please let me know smile

When I log in with a Test Student login, I cannot add Private files now smile  Which is what I want.

Also, I tested setting the permission to Prevent and not Prohibit - but it didn't stop me up uploading private files as a Student......I am not sure why it behaves like this.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to fix a block as always being at the top and with no-one being able to move it..............

(oh, and just a word to anyone else testing the stopping of uploading of Private files.....as I said, using my Test Student login account I am properly prevented..but....if I use my Admin login and just change my role to Student......I am still allowed to upload Private files  ie.  it seems that changing role to Student when Admin, doesn't seem to fully become the Student role........can anyone shed any light on this please?)

Cheers

jel

In reply to Mary Cooch

תשובה ל: Re: simple question: How do I disable "my private files"

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators

Hello mark

can you please write here step by step How did you get to this screenshot.?

I created new role prevented moodle/user:manageownfiles and then I went to Assign System Roles and assigned a user to that role, I logged with that user but still could see the Private files.

can you let me know how did you do it?

thank you

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Graham Fox -

All - remember users are students inside a course and usually just an authenticated user when on the front page or their profile page. Change it both places!

by David Upson -

This appears to be fixed: PULL-562

Thank you Jenny Gray.

In reply to David Upson

by Francisco Lara -

Unfortunately it is not set by default:

1) Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles > Identified user > Clic "Show advanced" button > moodle/user:manageownfiles = Not set

2) Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles > Student > Clic "Show advanced" button > moodle/user:manageownfiles = Prohibit

In reply to Francisco Lara

by B Shivaram -

Just installed moodle 2.4.

Followed the instructions of Franscisco as above for "student".  I am logged in as a "student" and I still see the my private filed upload option.

Has anyone succeeded in getting rid of this option?

Thank You.

In reply to B Shivaram

by Terry Reid -

I am having same problem, this issue has not been resolved! Anyone know how to fix it?

In reply to Terry Reid

by Richard Bakos -

In the current version I am using (2.4.1) what you need to do is navigate to:

Site Admin > Users > Permissions > Define roles and edit the roles for both Student and Authenticated user with the following permissions:

To speed up the process of finding the correct permissions to edit, simply do a search/find (cntrl/cmnd f) and search for the keyword "private".

In reply to Richard Bakos

by Becky Lane -

After changing the permissions for both the student user role and the authenticated user role, now my teacher role no longer has access to My Private Files. I'm assuming that it has to do with the changing of the authenticated user role. How can I make it so the teacher role still has access?

In reply to Becky Lane

by Kamlesh Bhure -
Hi All,

I am also getting same issue. I removed access of private files for authenticated user role. But this removed access from teacher as well. Does anybody solve this issue? I am using moodle version 2.7.1+ (Build: 20140731)
In reply to Kamlesh Bhure

by Ken St. John -

Seems as though the changes you are making will not take effect until the next cron cycle so, you will not see immediate results. To test this, make a new user and you should see the Private Files block is not there.