Adding clues to quiz questions

Adding clues to quiz questions

by Bala kumar -
Number of replies: 16

Hi,

We are planning to add clues to each question in the quiz and deduct some % of marks for taking clues. could some one help me like where i have to modify for setting the provision for adding clues to the question?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bala kumar

Re: Adding clues to quiz questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There are two parts to this.

1. You need to add extra fields to the editing form for questions, so teachers can enter the hints - and arrange for those to be saved somewhere suitable in the database, and loaded again.

2. You have to change what happens when questions are displayed and processed, to add a 'show hint' button and then record when the student asks to see a hint so you can display the hint in that siuation, and then adjust the score.

That would be really quite hard to do at the moment, because the question processing code if fairly messy and fragile. You would mostly need to change lib/questionlib.php and question/type/questiontype.php.

Once Development:Question_Engine_2 is finished and included in Moodel 2.1, then this should be much easier. 1. is already done there, and 2. would be a matter of creating a new 'question behaviour'.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bala kumar -

Thanks for your quick reply Tim, It will be usefull to us in adding clues to our moodle quiz

I have came across in moodle forum (http://docs.moodle.org /en/Development_talk:Question_Engine_2:Overview)that there was discussion going on long back regaring adding of textual hints with associated penaly to moodle  quiz. Does this feature is available in moodle 2.0 now ? or can i get the patch from some where else to implement the hints functionality to moodle quiz .

In reply to Bala kumar

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The work described on that page will be part of Moodle 2.1. I am working on it now, and making good progress, but the code is not in a state where you could use it for real at the moment.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bala kumar -

Okay tim, Mean while we will work on the files you specified for activating the clue feature for quiz questions.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bala kumar -

Tim,

I have tried installing the new question available under the below url :

http://timhunt.github.com/Moodle-Question-Engine-2/

But the installation process is showing bugs on installing the question/type/opaque tables. could you help me in this?

In reply to Bala kumar

by Tim Hunt -

I could possibly help, but you will need to at least copy-and-paste the error message here. I am not a mind-reader wink

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bala kumar -

Tim,

This is the error message am getting during installing the Question engine.

(mysql): CREATE TABLE qe_question_opaque_servers ( id BIGINT(10) NOT NULL auto_increment, engineid BIGINT(10) NOT NULL, type enum('qe', 'qb') NOT NULL DEFAULT '', url VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', CONSTRAINT PRIMARY KEY (id) )

1067: Invalid default value for 'type'

ADOConnection._Execute(CREATE TABLE qe_question_opaque_servers (

id BIGINT(10) NOT NULL auto_increment,

engineid BIGINT(10) NOT NULL,

type ..., false) % line  891, file: adodb.inc.php

ADOConnection.Execute(CREATE TABLE qe_question_opaque_servers (

type ...) % line   89, file: dmllib.php

execute_sql(CREATE TABLE qe_question_opaque_servers (

type ..., true) % line 2302, file: dmllib.php

execute_sql_arr(Array[9]) % line  635, file: ddllib.php

install_from_xmldb_file(C:\wamp\www\question-engine/question/type/opaque/db/install.xml) % line  137, file: adminlib.php

ErrorScroll to next warning

(mysql): ALTER TABLE qe_question_opaque_servers COMMENT='This table stores the individual servers that make up an Opa'

1146: Table 'question_engine.qe_question_opaque_servers' doesn't exist

ADOConnection._Execute(ALTER TABLE qe_question_opaque_servers COMMENT='This table stores the individual servers that make up an Opa', false) % line  891, file: adodb.inc.php

ADOConnection.Execute(ALTER TABLE qe_question_opaque_servers COMMENT='This table stores the individual servers that make up an Opa') % line   89, file: dmllib.php

execute_sql(ALTER TABLE qe_question_opaque_servers COMMENT='This table stores the individual servers that make up an Opa', true) % line 2302, file: dmllib.php

install_from_xmldb_file(C:\wamp\www\question-engine/question/type/opaque/db/install.xml) % line  137, file: adminlib.php

Scroll to previous warningErrorScroll to next warning

(mysql): CREATE INDEX qe_quesopaqserv_eng_ix ON qe_question_opaque_servers (engineid)

1146: Table 'question_engine.qe_question_opaque_servers' doesn't exist

ADOConnection._Execute(CREATE INDEX qe_quesopaqserv_eng_ix ON qe_question_opaque_servers (engineid), false) % line  891, file: adodb.inc.php

ADOConnection.Execute(CREATE INDEX qe_quesopaqserv_eng_ix ON qe_question_opaque_servers (engineid)) % line   89, file: dmllib.php

execute_sql(CREATE INDEX qe_quesopaqserv_eng_ix ON qe_question_opaque_servers (engineid), true) % line 2302, file: dmllib.php

Scroll to previous warningErrorScroll to next warning

Scroll to previous warningInstalling opaque FAILED!Scroll to continue button

In reply to Bala kumar

by Tim Hunt -

Oh, drat! That one. Sorry, that does not happen on Postgres, so I never bothered to fix it, although someone did report it before.

You almost certainly don't need to opaque question type, so you could just go and delete the question/type/opaque folder. However, I will try to commit a fix.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bala kumar -

Thanks tim, It has installed sucessfullly after taking away the opaque question type.

In reply to Bala kumar

by Ravi Vare -
Hi bala,
How it is possible to install 'Opaque' successfully by taking away.
Pl. clarify.

Warm Regards,
Ravi
In reply to Ravi Vare

by Tim Hunt -

I am saying that you almost certainly don't need the Opaque question type, so you should just delete the code before trying to install the system.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ravi Vare -
Hi Tim,
I am facing same problem in installing opaque question type.

Pl.assist.
Ravi
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bala kumar -

Tim, We have sucessfully installed the question engine 2, also have created a quiz and addedd questions with hints. but hints are not showing up. Any other work around to be made for displaying the question hints.

In reply to Bala kumar

by Tim Hunt -

At the moment, hints are only used if you switch to 'Interactive with multiple tries' behaviour.

Please think very carefully before you use Question engine 2 for anything other that evaluating the software and giving me feedback. While it is nearly finished, it is still software in development and I cannot promise any support. Also, if you install it today, there will probably not be an upgrade path to Moodle 2.1 with the new question engine.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Vastus: Re: Adding clues to quiz questions

by Antti Andreimann -
Just for the record here is a patch that fixes the database creation issues in old qtype_opaque code that is still available at http://download.moodle.org/plugins/question/type/opaque.zip It would be great if someone could apply the patch and create a new zip until engine 2.1 becomes generally available.
In reply to Antti Andreimann

Re: Vastus: Re: Adding clues to quiz questions

by fatih akkus -

hi.how can i apply this patch on moddle 2.0. please help me?