/enrol/database/cli/sync.php "Coding error detected"

/enrol/database/cli/sync.php "Coding error detected"

by David Meuleman -
Number of replies: 6

Attempting to do external database authentication and enrolment in Moodle 2.0 RC2.  Auth works fine.  Enrolment works fine when the user logs in.  However, if I try to run the sync program using the cli...

$sudo -u apache /usr/bin/php /var/www/html/enrol/database/cli/sync.php
!!! Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PHP catchable fatal error !!!

I also tried to bulk add users via /var/www/html/auth/db/cli/sync_users.php, and that worked correctly.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Meuleman

Re: /enrol/database/cli/sync.php "Coding error detected"

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hmmm, strange. I have just run enrol/database/cli/sync.php (in a local test install) and it has run flawlessly. But I updated the install just before running the test with the latest code from git.moodle.org (so it might happen that someone has fixed the coding error between your test and mine).

I run my tests on Debian (Squeeze), using Apache 2.2.16, PHP 5.3.3 and MySQL 5.1.49 for both Moodle and external enrolment database.

Saludos.
Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by David Meuleman -

CentOS 5.5, Aacphe 2.2.3, PHP 5.3.3, MySQL 5.0.77.  External enrolment db is on the localhost.

Just used git to install 2.0 RC2 (Build: 20101124).  Same error.

Turned on debugging for developers.

Default exception handler: Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PHP catchable fatal error Debug: Argument 3 passed to enrol_database_plugin::db_get_sql() must be an array, boolean given, called in /var/www/html/enrol/database/lib.php on line 359 and defined
* line 351 of /lib/setuplib.php: coding_exception thrown
* line 578 of /enrol/database/lib.php: call to default_error_handler()
* line 359 of /enrol/database/lib.php: call to enrol_database_plugin->db_get_sql()
* line 47 of /enrol/database/cli/sync.php: call to enrol_database_plugin->sync_enrolments()

!!! Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PHP catchable fatal error !!!
!! Argument 3 passed to enrol_database_plugin::db_get_sql() must be an array, boolean given, called in /var/www/html/enrol/database/lib.php on line 359 and defined !!
!! Stack trace: * line 351 of /lib/setuplib.php: coding_exception thrown
* line 578 of /enrol/database/lib.php: call to default_error_handler()
* line 359 of /enrol/database/lib.php: call to enrol_database_plugin->db_get_sql()
* line 47 of /enrol/database/cli/sync.php: call to enrol_database_plugin->sync_enrolments()
!!

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi David,

can you try the attached patch[1] and see if it makes a difference?

Saludos.
Iñaki.

[1] If you don't know how to apply a patch, have a look at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:How_to_apply_a_patch
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by David Meuleman -

Thanks.

I installed Wednesday's release this morning and applied this patch.  It is no longer producing the error.  However, there is still one hitch.

If I create a course, and immediately run the sync program, it does not enrol anybody in the course.  If I log in as one of the students in that course, it adds me to the course.  Then, if I run the sync program, it enrols everybody else.

It seems to be tied to needing at least one person to be enroled via the external database.  If I manually add somebody to the course and then run the sync program, it does not enrol the users.

by David Meuleman -

I added the following function to the enrol_database_plugin class in /enrol/database/lib.php

public function add_default_instance($course) {
$fields = array();
return $this->add_instance($course, $fields);
}

Then, I inserted a row in the config_plugins table:

INSERT INTO `mdl_config_plugins` (`plugin`, `name`, `value`) VALUES ('enrol_database', 'defaultenrol', '1');

Everything works great now.  Would be nice to have a place in the plugin config for that defaultenrol value.