Bulk Enrollment and Course Creation

Bulk Enrollment and Course Creation

by Robert Chapman -
Number of replies: 2

I am one of the Moodle trainers and support staff on our campus. When I began working at our University Moodle had just been setup as a test environment. At that time the current sysadmin had setup Moodle to allow for LDAP authentication. This process both authorized users as well as created their profile in Moodle. Moodle has since become our only LMS.

He had also setup the ability to create courses in bulk, add teachers to those courses in bulk, and add students to their assigned courses in bulk. It was my understanding that this script had been found in the Moodle community.

He has since moved on to other jobs and our current admin has continued this procedure with success. As we start to look to a future upgrade path for 2.0 we are starting to think about these types of issues. Our current admin was not left with much documentation about this custom script. So my questions.

What option are available for bulk creating courses, adding instructors to those courses, and enrolling students into those courses?

If someone is aware of the type of script we are using and knows about it's future maintenance in 2.0 I'd appreciate a little point in the right direction. I'm also wondering what the future holds for these types of processes being baked right into Moodle. We currently use Datatel and at this time have no interest in paying for their solution for integrating and are happy to manage these in bulk but knowing a proper upgrade path would be helpful. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Chapman

Re: Bulk Enrollment and Course Creation

by catherine walker -

Robert,

We are using mysql.  I am just a step ahead of your in the learning process, but we are using csv files to add students, courses and students to courses. 

Call me and I will see if I can help (if you, too, are using mysql).

Catherine Walker
University of Redlands

909 7488321

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to catherine walker

Re: Bulk Enrollment and Course Creation

by Robert Chapman -

Hi Catherine,

Next week sometime I may take you up on that. I would love to hear what others are doing. If we have to go that route of altering the raw MYSQL tables we can but I had hoped to avoid that. Thanks for the reply.