Updating to moodle 2.0 windows package from moodle 1.9+ windows package.

Updating to moodle 2.0 windows package from moodle 1.9+ windows package.

by Mark Smith -
Number of replies: 14

I am trying to take the site I use and am testing upgrading to moodle 2.0 I am using both windows packages. I paste the moodledata folder into the right spot and the mysql/data/moodle folders into their respective spots.  I am not worrying about other modules because I just want to see if I can get it working a little.  Well, the upgrade goes well but then I get a huge debugging message.  Can anyone help me I.  I have tried copying and pasting the message here but I get an error.  Do you need to see the debug message or am I doing something wrong in my process?????

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Smith

Re: Updating to moodle 2.0 windows package from moodle 1.9+ windows package.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mark,

Try copying and pasting the message to Notepad first. Then re-copy it from Note pad and paste it into a comment here.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Smith -

I tried doing what you said and found that I got a database error.  So, I attached it.  Also, another question popped in my head could it be that I am using the the files from the backup of my real server??  Boy I hope there is a fix. I would like to get to updated to moodle 2.0.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you look at the error, you will see that it is "Data too long for column 'questiontext'".

That is a bit strange, because the the questiontext column should be able to store very large amounts of text. Can you check the type of the mdl_question.questiontext column in you database?

On the other hand, if you look at the data it is trying to insert into that column, you can see that the questiontext if full of the horrible garbage you get when someone has copied and pasted from Word.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mark Smith -

I can try can I do it through the admin block in moodle.  I am a newbie in looking into the database

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mark Smith -

Tim,  I have found the mdl_question.questiontext column  how do I check the typ.  I am sorry if this frustrates you but I don't know what I am looking at.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, where have you found it wink I mean, using which tool? Database type names look like VARCHAR(123) or TEXT or INT(4) or something.

If you are using a tool like phpMyAdmin, then you should be able to get a list of all  the columns in a table, with the column types.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mark Smith -

I am using phpMyAdmin

In reply to Mark Smith

by Mark Smith -

So, I found mdl_question the option in pHpMyAdmin are browse, structure, and search.  I am guessing I choose structure then I can find the questiontext.  Then I am at a loss.  My options are browse distinct values, change, drop and full text.  There I am at a loss to be able to look for what you are talking about.

AGain thank you time for taking time out of your day for this.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Mark Smith -

I have just thought of something could it be that I have been using sharing cart and that have messed up the database.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Mark Smith -

Ok when I goto browse distinct values I can find the offending questions texts.  I will have to go ask the teacher how they put them in.  could it be as easy as deleting the questions for the time being. OR fixing them some how.  I  will check all of them out.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mark, can I ask a question?

What made you create the log file in Publisher? Or is that how it was created by the server?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Smith -

I didn't create it in Publisher. As I tried to install I got the error message in the browser then  I copied and put into notepad.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Mark Smith -

Okay I have had time to play around and have found the the offending questions.  There is more than one I am assuming the error occured on the first one..  Is there away to fix the problems.??  Could this have come from using sharingcart??? That is the question I have.

In reply to Mark Smith

by Mark Smith -

Thanks to Tim I was able to find the problem and after talking to teachers I found they were copying and pasting from old word worksheets into the the quiz  to make their questions.  There is a lot of questions this way.  Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do to get it out of the database.  I have tried going through and cleaning up the questions I think very thoroughly.  I really could use some help. The weird thing is that I can update from 1.9.7 to 1.9.10+ without a problem