Moodle unenrol user from a course?!?

Moodle unenrol user from a course?!?

by Harald H -
Number of replies: 13
hi,
some of my students told me that moodle unenrol them from several courses,
did i do something wrong in course configuration?
is this a bug?
TIA
Harald
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Harald H

Re: Moodle unenrol user from a course?!?

by Don Quixote -
I do not think that it is a bug. Often users forget that the "enrolment period" setting in the course, unenrolls students automatically if the period is over.

Please check the enrolment period in your course settings.

Regards
Andreas
In reply to Don Quixote

by Harald H -
hi andreas,
thanks for answering, ok i think it is the "enrolment period" it was 10 days,
i just read the english helpfile, and if i got it right, it means that (in my case) after 10 days the students get unenroled, right?

i think the germany translation is a little bit confusing, because i thought, without reading the helpfile that "anmeldezeitraum" means the time/ days, student were able to enrol to a course, after the course started.
thanks
Harald
In reply to Harald H

by Don Quixote -
Hi Harald,

I wasn't aware of this - indeed confusing - translation into German. (Most of the time I am using the English GUI.)

"Enrolment period" has the effect in the "topics format" to define how long a student is enrolled from the date he has enrolled (or being enrolled). Afterwards he is automatically unenrolled (what has happened in your courses). So a better translation would probably be "Immatrikulationsdauer".

Note that in contrast in the "weekly format", the time a student is enrolled is implicitly defined by the "course start date" and the "number of weeks" settings.

I'll post a request in the German forum to change the translation.

Andreas
In reply to Don Quixote

by Isabelle Barrière -

I have the same problem.

"longtimenosee" is 365 days, in each course the "enrolment period" in course settings is unlimited but students are unenrolled every 3 days, everybody in the same time!

Isabelle Barrière

In reply to Isabelle Barrière

by Don Quixote -
And your course is in the "topic format"?
In reply to Don Quixote

by Isabelle Barrière -

Yes. it's the problem?

Isabelle Barrière

In reply to Isabelle Barrière

by Don Quixote -
Hi Isabelle,

no, I have asked to be sure what will determine the auto-unenroll function.

If you have a course in topics format and

• longtimenoseen = 365 days
  • enrolment period = umlimited
  • and, for sure, the course is available to students
then frankly I do not understand why your students are automatically unenrolled. Also, I think this feature works fine (apart of the misunderstandings that happened).

There are two areas where I could imagine the reason of your problem is:
  • Server Date: Is the date/time on your server correctly set?
  • Variables > "deleteunconfirmed" = 3 days? In this case, if your students do not confirm their account they will also be automatically unenrolled
Concerning the second possibility: How do you authenticate and how do your students enrol to the course?

Andreas

In reply to Don Quixote

by Isabelle Barrière -

Hi Andreas,

• the server date is correct
  • the "deleteunconfirmed" = 7 days
  • and the first time, I enrolled myself the students and now, when they disappeared they enrol themselves with the identification key or I do it.
  • The students is authenticate with login and password

I saw that this problem is reported as bug:

Bug #2290 - Have longtimenoseee function that actually deletes users

http://moodle.org/bugs/index.php

Isabelle

In reply to Harald H

by walter waldner -
I had the same experience and asked a similar question on this forum some days ago and not gotten a satisfying answer yet

- I have a longtimenosee value of 1000 days (in ADMIN - configuration - variables), so this cannot be the reason

I think this is a very severe problem and I hope that somebody out in the moodle universe can help us.

THx a lot
Walter Waldner, HTL Mössingerstrasse, Klagenfurt, Austria

In reply to walter waldner

by Don Quixote -
Hi Walter,

please check similarly to my posting above whether the enrolment period is over.

Are the courses where this happened in the "Topics format"?

If yes, just extend the enrolment period to a value so that it is in the future, calculated from the date the students have enrolled (or being enrolled). In the case of doubts, put the value "unlimited". All the students should then again be able to access the course. (Btw, I don't think that any Data are lost!)

Andreas
In reply to Harald H

by walter waldner -
I had the same experience and asked a similar question on this forum some days ago and not gotten a satisfying answer yet

- I have a longtimenosee value of 1000 days (in ADMIN - configuration - variables), so this cannot be the reason

I think this is a very severe problem and I hope that somebody out in the moodle universe can help us.

THx a lot
Walter Waldner, HTL Mössingerstrasse, Klagenfurt, Austria

In reply to walter waldner

by Michael Penney -
Hi Walter, If you are using 1.4, there is also an erollment period for each course, which is separate from longtimenosee, in course settings, make sure that is set to unlimited.

Also, what are your settings for allowunenrol in admin/configuration/variables?

If you have it set to yes, students might unenroll themselves by accident.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by walter waldner -
Thank you very much for your help. I didnot notice this enrolment period setting. I am happy that this problem is solved.