Journal Module Ver 2

Journal Module Ver 2

by David Hoyt -
Number of replies: 3

I Just installed Moodle verson 2 last week, and the teachers are already asking me to install the Journal feature, but it seems the Journal module is not supported in version 2.  I've told the Teachers that the Journal is not supported, so they havd asked me to remove verson 2 and install 1.9 instead. I shouldn't do that should I?
Does anyone have any good alternative solution to this problem? 

THANKS...  from a totally GREEN Moodle support person.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Hoyt

Re: Journal Module Ver 2

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there smile Well first of all you might have  been a  bit premature to install Moodle 2.0 on a working school site -many people are waiting a little longer - but never mind - the thing about the journal is that it was quite "old" in 1.9 anyway and although it was popular it was and has been replaced by the online text assignment. I suggest before you go  back to 1.9 you ask your teachers to try out the online text assignment and see if that will satisfy them. If you stick with Moodle 2.0 they will need some training to understand the new file upload system etc etc. How long did you have 1.9? Or is this a brand new install?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by David Hoyt -

It's a brand new install on a Windows 2008 platform.
The teachers are just starting to learn it.

In reply to David Hoyt

by Marc Grober -
Assuming you did not use Howard' s journal migration tool and therefor did not upgrade from 1.9 to 2.0, you should simply blow away your 2.0 install and install 1.9 You should NOT be using 2.0 for production (it is not released for production purposes, hence all the warnings NOT to use it for production.) However, the journal module is not available in 2.0. You can copy and tweak the online assignment module to give you the look and feel of of the journal Module but it is really, as discussion reflects, virtually same for back end Bottom line: go back to 1.9 and get your teachers focused on underlying functionality, create an analog of the online assignment, or move teachers to using templates multipage wikis for student journals ( which or probably a more effective tool anyway .) And get of Microsoft OS.....