Search for question by tags - Moodle 2.0

Search for question by tags - Moodle 2.0

by Chris Liang-Vergara -
Number of replies: 12

Hey-

Just upgraded my testing server to 2.0 to start playing around - and I'm lost on the interface of question tagging & searching.

We have a complex category & sub-category setup on 1.9.9 to allow quizzing by objectives and doing overall quizzes that pull random questions.  However, sharing questions gets ridiculously messy when you have multiple teachers with long lists of objective (and thereby categories).

1. I was hoping the question tagging would eliminate this - by allowing more flexibility of grabbing questions based on tags instead of straight category - but it appears as though the random question pulling still only come from the category - correct?
  2. And finally - once I set the tags on a question - how do I even search for those questions when making a new quiz?  I only see Question Bank Contents on the far right - nothing about tags.

Thanks in advance smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Liang-Vergara

Re: Search for question by tags - Moodle 2.0

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I was also hoping to do more with question tagging in Moodle 2.0, but I ran out of time after implementing the basic functionality of letting people tag questions. That makes tags rather useless at the moment, but at least the foundations have been laid, so that features like the ones you talk about can more easily be implemented in future.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

"...so that features like the ones you talk about can more easily be implemented in future."

Is the future here? Is it now possible to search for questions in the bank by tag?

Tieku

In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The future is not here yet wink

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;

Macbeth Act 5, scene 5, 19–28

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by oneil clacken -

When will this be? I am anxiously awaiting this feature. Do you know of any third party extensions?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

in the future it might happen, wink

that moodle users can get a report about student results, sorted by question tags.

look at a student and see the tag-sorted results

look at a quiz and see tag sorted results

it makes sense if I add the right tags to my questions.

See studends results of a class sorted by tags.

Would you like  to share this future with us , Tim?

by Patti Davidson -

If you're still around, I'm curious about your "complex category, sub-category set up for allowing quizzing by objectives"? We're in the process of starting to do this and I was hoping tagging questions was the answer, but apparently that is not available yet. I was considering creating categories and sub-categories based on learning outcomes and wondered if that is how you do it. Thanks!

Patti Davidson

Odp: Search for question by tags - Moodle 2.0

by Adam Wojtkiewicz -

Hello, this is my take on searching by tags.

I attach modified mod/quiz files and a screenshot.

There are only 3 files modified, edit.php, editlib.php and language file.

They work in moodle 2.6.

My modification adds a tag cloud and allows you to build a tag filter to search for questions (inside chosen category).

I know that there is 2.7 with new question bank search functionality but maybe you don't want to wait smile

Adam

Attachment tags_filter.png
In reply to Adam Wojtkiewicz

how to display that question categories drop down in custon page

by Sivakami Natarajan -

hi.. the exact same is needed for me.. but needed in seperate page..

the categories drop down should shown and from that tags should be searched. only these two i needed in custom page

if you know can you help me?

In reply to Adam Wojtkiewicz

Re: Odp: Search for question by tags - Moodle 2.0

by Ravi Bell -

Adam,

Thanks for this modification! It was something I had been looking for so long. I have many questions, but am finding it hard to organize without tags. Your hacks gave a hope. I am trying it on moodle 2.8. Unfortunately, it is not working out of the box. I get blank page when I enter to edit a quiz. Is it possible to kindly fix this?

Thank you in advance.