Non attempts - How are they graded

Non attempts - How are they graded

by Ingrid DSouza -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

Moodle 2.4

I was just wondering how students who have never attempted a quiz can be marked through the quiz activity itself (with a zero grade)?

I have created a quiz, with both manual and automatic grading features and most students have completed the quiz and have received a grade. Those students who have not attempted the quiz (at all) have no grade in the grade book nor in the quiz attempt.

How do I give those students who have never attempted the quiz a zero mark so that the grade can appear in the grade book?

I do know that I can do this via the grade book (the mark is recorded as an override) but wondering if it is possible through the activity itself so that an override is not seen in the grade book.

Many thanks in advance

Ingrid

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ingrid DSouza

Re: Non attempts - How are they graded

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The only way to handle this case is to assign the grade in the gradebook.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ingrid DSouza -

Hi Tim, 

Many thanks for the quick response. 

One more question - when filtering the report in a quiz to "enrolled users who have not attempted quiz" the following error is thrown if  I attempt to review the quiz of these users. 

I am guessing this is because the student does not appear in the database for attempts, but don't fully understand why Moodle would have this functionality available.

Is there a reason that the "review attempts" is hyperlinked?

error message

quizreport_revattempt

Many thanks 

Ingrid

In reply to Ingrid DSouza

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

"Is there a reason that the "review attempts" is hyperlinked [for students who have not attempted the quiz]?"

I fear there is only one possible reason I can give for that: because Tim is an idiot.

This is clearly a bug, and I have filed it at MDL-48381. Thank you very much for identifying this problem. Now you have found it, it should be easy to fix.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -

Actually, this had alreay been found and fixed as MDL-41996. Fixed in 2.4.7, 2.5.3 and 2.6, so you must have quite an old version of Moodle.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ingrid DSouza -

Hi Tim, 

Yes, unfortunately we do have quite an old version of Moodle and it is near impossible to get different stakeholders to understand the implications of upgrading smile to the newer releases.

Many, many thanks for the extensive information which will no doubt help with this issue our teaching staff are having.

It is awesome to get so much support.

cheers

Ingrid