Role definitions

Role definitions

by Herbert Plass -
Number of replies: 1

Is there a list in Moodle (1.9, local installation or moodle docs) where the basic role settings are explicitely given. (i.g. I want to know which rights are set "enabled" for a "teacher").  Does "not set" mean inherited from the next less privileged role? Does "not set" mean  this is not allowed for guests (as least privileged role)? Is there a table comparing the enabled capabilities explicitely.

I could not find a hint, where I can find such information.

Regards,
Herbert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Herbert Plass

Re: Role definitions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You should be able to see this on the define roles screen (assuming your theme does it right). The default setting for each capability should be hilighted with a different background.

When you are defining a role, you should basically only use Allow to mean yes, and Not set to mean no (so, in other words, never use Prevent or Prohibit unless you really know what you are doing). To really understand why that is the right thing to do, you need to understand How permissions are calculated