Create Moodle classes using a Dynamic IP Server

Create Moodle classes using a Dynamic IP Server

by Michael Atteya -
Number of replies: 10

is there any possibiliy of creating moodle on a server with Create Moodle/classes using a Dynamic IP Server?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Atteya

Re: Create Moodle classes using a Dynamic IP Server

by William Hamilton -
Let me say this, if Moodle is not your main or default website and your default website is already using dynamic IP, then it's possible you may have problems with your Moodle site. If not default, Moodle, e.g., could be put on a virtual server type set-up where you must choose an IP from a drop down that doesn't conflict with somethin else. If security is your concern, there are many layers which can be done; Windows authentication into the primary server; ask your ICT personnel to slice you off a virtual server, give permissions and access and load Moodle there. That way Dynamic IP off the Main server also provides a measure of security; Move your Moodle data folder-- careful, refer to Moodle on how to do this (path, PHP file, etc) Iman
In reply to William Hamilton

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

> if Moodle is not your main or default website and your default website is already using dynamic IP, then it's possible you may have problems with your Moodle site.

By "default website" do you mean the directory the webserver look for content once http://yourdyndnsname/ is called? Then you put Moodle in its own subdirectory below this default directory and add the (relative) path to the URL, like this http://yourdyndnsname/path/to/moodle

I can not follow the other problems you mention, may be they are Windows-specific. Under Linux getting LAMP stack to work is very clean and straight-forward. Notice that virtualization is not neccessary at all.

BTW, notice that the "Lounge" is not the best place for technical discussions. This topic belongs to "General Problems" http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=50

by Michael Atteya -

I need to run moodle from home but my ISP cannot give me a static IP address. Any ideas?

by Sandy Pittendrigh -

This is a bad idea.

Some ISPs will give you a static IP address. But it costs a lot more and the performance will be bad. If you want a server rent one.  You can get a "virtual dedicated server" from goDaddy for about 30 bucks a month. Your ISP would want that much or more to give you a static IP address. A real dedicated server is about 100 USA dollars a month. You can run Moodle from a "shared host" server for as little as ten bucks a month.  Running public access from home is big mistake.

In reply to Sandy Pittendrigh

by ben reynolds -

Sandy,

I'm wondering if this is perhaps not a public server deal but rather the same problem I'm having. Windows on a stick or Bitnami stack, etc. Could this be a private Moodle to be used for playing around?

by Saurabh Gupta -

Guys,

I had the same problem, and literally struggled hard to find a solution. Running Moodle on home computer might look easy, but it's a lot more complicated, risky and costly.

First, you need a dedicated IP solution, either from ISP or using DynDNS, etc.
Second, you need to keep your system online 24x7, which involves security concerns and you might need to invest in a second system.
Third, power backup could be an issue if your area gets power cuts.
Fourth, Even after all this, you could end-up maintaining your server yourself.

I found an ideal solution - the VPS (Virtual Private Server). This is a kind of dedicated server, running on virtualization technology. Most ISPs now offer (customized) VPS solution at dirt cheap cost. Check out www.hostrightnow.com. There are many service providers like this. Try google for VPS.

I hosted my Moodle site with hostrightnow, and I'm pretty happy with him. No headaches, only peace. You can concentrate on improving your Moodle site instead of diluting the enthusiasm and peace of mind with server-related concerns.

One last thing - support could be a big concern. So, before freezing the deal for a VPS, ensure the service quality and SLAs/TATs for your queries.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Saurabh

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Saurabh Gupta

Re: Please share your experience

by Sachin Borkar -

Dear Mr. Saurabh Gupta,

I know it's rather late to reply to a post this old. But I came upon it just by pure chance and conincidentally, I'm trying to host my Moodle site on HostRightNow too!

However, I'm running into a brickwall while installing the Moodle site. I'm getting stuck on a page with a message that says 'the service is unavailable'. (BTW, I'm installing Moodle version 2,0 due to PHP limitations of server)

Can you please share exactly which version of Moodle you installed on HostRightNow server?

Can you please share a link to your own Moodle site?

The HostRightNow support team is trying to resolve the issue but any extra help won't harm, isn't it?

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Sachin Borkar

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Sachin

Saurabh is no more enrolled in this forum. The post you are referring to is old.

What you can do is to start a new discussion in the "Installation problems" forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=28, mentioning:
- the versions of Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL of your hosting package
- how exactly you install, following one of the tutorials in http://docs.moodle.org/en/Category:Installation or some other tutorial or web-based installation provided by the hoster?
- At which step do you get the error message? Paste the exact message in to your post.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Sachin Borkar -

Hello Visvanath,

Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly create a new discussion in the section you have mentioned.