Transition to Moodle from Blackboard

Transition to Moodle from Blackboard

by Man Tritsi -
Number of replies: 3

Hi there,

We are a group of master students at the University of Twente, working on the Business Case Development of the university. 

We are using Blackboard right now as a course management system. The purpose of our research is to explore all the advantages and disadvantages that this transition (from Blackboard to Moodle) may have. 

Can you please give us your insights?

What are the total costs of running Moodle though a university (around 12.000 employees and students)?

What are the inderect costs of Moodle (training, hosting, installation etc.)?

Which is better regarding the functionality and interface between those 2 systems?

Any costs-benefits-advantages-disadvantages tha you can think/know about them it would be very helpful for us. 

We are expecting your contribution as it will be necessary for us to support the transition to Moodle, to the board of our university!!! The more professional it will be the more possibility to select Moodle instead of Blackboard.

Help us to help you!!!! smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Man Tritsi

Re: Transition to Moodle from Blackboard

by Russell Waldron -

Man, have a look in the forum for Comparisons and Advocacy. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=2784 

You'll find a lot of answers there - use the Search - and these sort of questions are likely to get a more enthusiastic response there.

Regards, 

Russell

In reply to Russell Waldron

by Man Tritsi -

Thank you Russel for the advice, I already posted to the Advocacy forum and I will search also for older posts.

Cheers,

Manolis

In reply to Man Tritsi

by Clive Richards -

I am from a UK institution.

One of the things you need take into account is which Blackboard products the institution currently uses. The part that most people are familiar with is Blackboard Learn, the part that studens generally interact with for course content.  However there are other products in the suite such as the community system generally used as an institutional portal, content collection which as well as course material may also provide storage and other services direct to staff and students.  Outcomes is another suite product that gives managment data about student performance

It is relatively easy to run a comparison between one verion of Blackboard learn and a version of Moodle but if other areas are used (and they dont work independently) then the work involved in replacing these would also need to be taken into account. That is not to say it is a barrier but does need to be taken into account.

From my perspective Bb is better in terms of supporting traditional learning which is management/lecturer led in a strucured environment.  Moodle definitely scores highly with people who appreciate a more freeform student led environment.

I dont think that cost should be a predominant factor here because as percentage of student fees commercial products dont cost all that much.  The decision should be based on which platform better suits education at a particular institution.

Reading this

"The more professional it will be the more possibility to select Moodle instead of Blackboard."

It does rather sound to me as if your mission is to persuade your institution to move from one product to the other, which any report may of course do, but I feel for integrity it is important to show that you are conducting an independent review, rather than simply presenting a sales pitch for a different product.

Good luck