Site down twice in one day

Site down twice in one day

by Keith Ross -
Number of replies: 3
Can anyone tell me in plain English (i.e) that makes sense, how 1.9.9 is blocking my Admin password after only 1 successful logon. It forces a new password and the email help doesn't work.

I am using the transient theme which I uploaded today. My server administrator has reset the password today and now I have asked him to do it again. So that is not solving the problem. I have read about moodle data but presumably that should be on my local drive and I lost all the contents of the drive when it failed.

Please help.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Keith Ross

Re: Site down twice in one day

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Can you FTP the code? Can you access your dbase using phpMyAdmin? When you get in, can you get to the Admin's profile and see if it has the "force Password change" checkbox checked?

However, if the drive has failed, then that is not necessarily a Moodle issue. It may very well be an issue with your computer. You post is a little confusing, in that if your drive on your local machine dies, then you lose everything. If your server drives dies, then you lost everything, unless you been backing up. These are not the same drive, are they? No - you talk about an Admin, your host I am assuming.

In that case, using FTP, look at the config.php file, if there is anything between the

<?php /// Moodle Configuration File
(and)
unset($CFG);
then you have a major problem. Start by deleting anything there, then using FTP replace all the files in the moodle/admin folder, then the moodle/login folder. They may be OK but maybe not. The connectionless nature of PHP and HTML allows you to delete and replace these files without issue. Look at your site security, you been hacked.

If not and once you have it going, go to Server > Debugging and reset the error messages to ALL messages, but only for a while, don't leave it too long. This generates an error log so it may help you find what is happening.

In the meantime, you may want to download and implement a file called adminfix.php this will allow you to reset your password without entering Moodle. It is a little like taking a sledgehammer to a tack, so be careful and make sure you delete it after you have used it, do not leave it on because if you can get into your moodle without logging in, so can someone else.

Good luck...
In reply to Keith Ross

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Could it be a client problem: overenthusiatic local firewalls, virus blockers, cooky filters, parential protection, a borked browser, ...?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
That would be my next guess, for sure... hard drives do not die from programming that is proven to work across so many different environments. It is hard to make such a comment without annoying the original author, though, especially if their service has been good until now.