error version.php was not readable nanogong 4 moodle 1.9.8

error version.php was not readable nanogong 4 moodle 1.9.8

by Rich Brennan -
Number of replies: 9
I installed moodle 1.9.8 on a shared hosting site. I followed the directions at http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong/moodle_inst.html and got to step 1.3. Once I clicked notifications, an error message said, moodle/mod/nanogong/version.php was not readable. I could not find a version.php in the nanogong folder.

This the file I download: nanogong-htmlarea-4.0-moodle-1.9.7.zip

I created the directory moodle/mod/nanogog myself. I did this since the directions in step 1.2 were not exactly as described.

Can anyone tell me how I can get passed this stopping point?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rich Brennan

Re: error version.php was not readable nanogong 4 moodle 1.9.8

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
I doubt this is a Moodle issue, more likely an older version of PHP or perhaps the version.php file is not in the required location for nanogong. Best talk to your host about it first, they may offer some insight.
In reply to Rich Brennan

by Rob Johnson -
The package you downloaded sounds to me like the patch that makes nanogong available in the text editor. Did you download the actual module? That is what should go into the mod folder.

Rob
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Rich Brennan -
Rob,

I don't think so. There was a separate section for the patch files. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
In reply to Rich Brennan

by John Dlugosz -
I'm running into the same issues. We're running moodle 1.9.8 locally on windows, and am following the same instructions noted above. (http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong/moodle_inst.html), trying to install version 4. Followed the same steps as Rich above, making certain it's the module I downloaded. I then get the following in Notifications: "Moodle nanogong: C:\moodle/mod/nanogong/version.php was not readable".

Any suggestions? We're stuck at the first step, so I'm thinking there is something very obvious being overlooked--but there is no suggestion in the instructions.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to John Dlugosz

by Rob Johnson -
I was able to install the module, filter, and html area modification on my 1.9.5+ site and it works like it should. This is on a Suse 11.1 box, and there is a version.php in the nanogong folder. Have you looked at the contents of the zip file you downloaded to see if it is there?
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Rich Brennan -
There was no version.php in the compressed file. In addition, there was no version.php in any of the nanogong folders.
In reply to Rich Brennan

by Rob Johnson -
I just downloaded the activity module again. There is a version.php file inside. There are four possible items to download.
  • The Nanogong Applet - You do not need this. This is for use outside Moodle.
  • The Activity Module - This is what you need to place in the mod folder
  • The Nanogong filter - This allows users to place recordings anywhere in Moodle using the text editor. Optional
  • The HTML Area patch - This places an icon on the editor toolbar for use with the above filter. Optional
Please see the screenshot below for reference.

Attachment nanogong_download.PNG
In reply to Rob Johnson

by David Le Blanc -
Thanks Rob, for this helpful post. This wan't so obvious when I first went to do the upgrade. blush
In reply to David Le Blanc

by Mahmut Ozkan -

I downloaded the zip file (Nanogong Activity Module for All Moodle Versions), ad created nanogong folder within moodle/mod.

But when I unzipped the file above into the nanogong folder, I saw the same warning "nanogong/version.php was not readable",

only because there should be only one nanonong file in mod, not two;

I mean

it should be as follows: moodle/mod/nanogong

not "moodle/mod/nanogong/nanogong

I wanted to give a shortcut for the beginners like me...