Selectively disable spell check button

Selectively disable spell check button

by Joshua Westerway -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I am wondering how we can disable the spell check button for specific instances. The spell check button is a good addition for most pages but for essay questions in a quiz it is not so good for English classes where we are looking at spelling and punctuation in their responses.

Is there a css class/id which surrounds the spell check button in the editor tool bar which I can hide through the theme css?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joshua Westerway

Re: Selectively disable spell check button

by Joshua Westerway -
Figured it out. Just in case anyone was trying to do the same thing I added this to the theme CSS files.

.essay div[title='Spell-check'] {
display:none;
}

Seems to work well, the spell check button is displayed everywhere except on the essay question type response box. Just as an English teacher would like.
In reply to Joshua Westerway

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
That is a great idea Joshua, but many Admins have little experience with coding, so can you please be a little more specific about where you are putting the code please.

Many admins are Teachers or just Moodlephiles who have fallen into the job because they are devoted to it, or passionate about it. They often have little or no PHP skills.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Joshua Westerway -
Sorry I should have explained...

I added the above code to the theme CSS file - this is the one (or one of several) located in your theme folder which controls the colours, layouts and fonts for your moodle site it has the file extension .css

See moodle docs for information about moodle theme css files: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Theme_basics