Htlm editor missing... help, please

by Manuel Pérez -
Number of replies: 35
The htlm editor is missing. I can't find it or activate it. I have checked and double checked and triple checked with no success. I have asked colleagues......searched the forums and tried the suggested solutions but ... again no success...

I'm really desperate. Could anyone help me, please?

I'm using version 1.9.3

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Manuel Pérez

Re: Htlm editor missing... help, please

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
OK - which solutions have you tried? (so we can rule them out smile ) It doesn't work in Safari, Google Chrome or Opera so I presume you are not using them.
Have you checked in site admin>appearance>use html editor that it is ON?
Have you looked in your profile that 'when editing text' it says 'use html editor'?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Manuel Pérez -
Thanks for your help.

I am using Mozilla Firefox and I have no problems in using the htlm editor here or in other moodles except my own sad

So far I have checked the following things:
  • html editor (admin>appearance>use) is on
  • in my profile "when editing text"... it says "use html editor"
  • changed themes... and changed languages...
  • checked if config.php was corrupted with extra blank spaces or strange lines (I am not an expert... but everything seems to be fine)
  • htaccess ..... and it's fine
My moodle address is this

http://www.manuel.net78.net/moodle

Other than that... everything looks fine and working smoothly.

What else can I do?
Thanks

In reply to Manuel Pérez

by Mauno Korpelainen -
Your site cource code has at the bottom some Analytics Code... Scripts like this can break other javascripts or ajax. Try to take that analytics code away or move it to some other part of those files you you have added it.
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Manuel Pérez -
Thanks. I see what you mean... but I am not much of an expert.... in which file should that analytics code be?

In reply to Manuel Pérez

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I checked some of your files just with browser ( for example http://www.manuel.net78.net/moodle/theme/standard/README.html that is not using config.php ) and it looks like either your web host has included those tags to all of your html files and php files or your site has been hacked and all files injected with analytics code that breaks layout of some pages but not all. There have been some similar iframe attacks before but you should probably contact your host first and ask if this is some kind of "free gift" from them.

Your host seems to be free hosting provider so my guess is that your host is actually using you for advertising...

by Manuel Pérez -
Thank you very much....

I'm going to ask my host immediately ... and find out.
But if that's the case... and they have put those tags in all my html files and php files... is there any solution? If there isn't any other solution and I have to change host... are there any good (or better) free hosts that can be trusted?

Thanks again.

by Manuel Pérez -
Problem solved!

You were absolutely right. I disabled the code and html editor is working fine.

Thank you very much

In reply to Manuel Pérez

by Jeroen Kleijn -
Where did you remove what code?
In reply to Jeroen Kleijn

by Adam Barry -

I too am having the same problem.  I cannot view the HTML Editor.  Please post what code had to be deleted and from what files.

Thanks,
Adam

In reply to Adam Barry

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Manuel did not actually delete any code from any files - the free hosting company had included their ads to all files and the code could be disabled from some site wide setting (in Cpanel I suppose)

In most recent cases where sites have been targets of crackers attacks code is injected to php files that allow writing. Read for example

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=114943

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=116214

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=111710

Missing editor does not always mean hacked site - javascript can be broken for various reasons, htmlarea does not work with all browsers, editor may be disabled in user profile (When editing text - Use standard web forms) or site wide disabled (from adminsitration menu).

If the reason is not directly seen in source code you can always turn debugging to ALL from administration menu, check Firefox error console, check server error logs etc to find some tips... or start checking files: config.php, index.php and so on

by Adam Barry -

I'll have to check. But I'm using a free site and they don't have any adds that come up or anything... I don't know where to go from here.  This is the site if anyone can check it for me.

http://barrycomputersmoodle.comuf.com/

This is a brand new site. Just made it yesterday and it has never shown up for me. Also when I installed the site, when I put a htmlarea file on the site it gives error message and had to take it out.

In reply to Adam Barry

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Well now that you gave that address I can tell you:

at the bottom of source (after </html>)

<!-- www.000webhost.com Analytics Code --> ...... <!-- End Of Code -->

does not come from moodle. Contact your host if you don't know where that code comes from...

I can see two "unterminated regular expression literal" errors in Firefox error console: that analytics code breaks lib/javascript-mod.php and calendar/overlib.cfg.php and probably also javascript of editor

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Adam Barry -

Thank you soo much....  Now the question is...  How do I get rid of it...

In reply to Adam Barry

by Manuel Pérez -
Actually, it's not a code that you delete from your files ...but a code that you disable from the website of your host. My host is 000webhost and they had inserted some JavaScript code to my website (Analytics code). I sent them an e-mail asking how to disable that code and they told me the website where I could log in and disable that code.
I think your host is the same as mine. If I am right, the website you have to log in is:

http://members.000webhost.com/analytics.php

You simply have to log in and select "disable code" and then the htlm editor should work.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Manuel Pérez

by Glenroy Francis -
Thank you soo much. I have been trying get work for about year now Thank you
In reply to Adam Barry

by Adam Barry -

You are great.  Thanks.  I disable it, and my page is under review. Just waiting to see if it now works.

Thanks again.

In reply to Adam Barry

by Manuel Pérez -
You are welcome. I am glad that it worked for you too.

Actually, it was Mauno Korpelainen who helped me in the first place by suggestion what the problem could be (and I was pretty desperate myself!).

So... thank you again Mauno Korpelainen!
In reply to Manuel Pérez

by maria azanero -
Hi, the same thing happened to me and also i couldnt see the favicon in IE7, now it works fine. Anyway, i am also using 000webhost free account but it takes forever to completely load and i have to refresh it a million times. Does it happen to u or is it just me?
In reply to Adam Barry

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

by Rebeca Molins -
Thank you, thank you!! IT WORKED!!

I have been using Moodle for a couple of weeks and it has been hard trying to get it looking right just writing the code. This makes my life much easier.

You rock!!

by Blake Rackley -
I've done everything that you have said for this particular problem. I'm running Moodle 1.9.5

I checked the firefox method and this is what it said and the code it took me to:

Error: HTMLArea is not defined
Source File: http://www.blakepsyd.com/moodle/course/edit.php?id=3
Line: 262
editor_a80da1282f2c775bbc5f2c92c836968b = new HTMLArea('id_summary');
What should I do?
In reply to Manuel Pérez

by António Gonçalves -
Hello, Manuel. Sorry, but I have the same problem. You say you disable the code, what code? In what file? Thanks Bye António

by António Gonçalves -
Hello, I send you my config php: it seems to me that it has been hacked: how can we be safe from this, and what should I erase?

Bye thank you.
In reply to António Gonçalves

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ah - I suspected as much sad Often when the html editor stops working it has been the case recently that a Moodle site has been hacked but I looked at yours in your profile and it said it was version 1.9.4 so I assumed it was ok.(Is the Moodle where you have lost the html editor a different moodle from the one in your profile?. Here is some fuller information about what to do next.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by António Gonçalves -
Hello Mary, thanks for your help. I have only one moodle. I still don't have the html editor. bye António
In reply to Manuel Pérez

by Deo Estevão -

Hi!

The same with me. The htlm editor is missing.  I have checked and double checked and with no success. I have asked colleagues......searched the forums and tried the suggested solutions but ... again no success...

I'm really desperate. Could anyone help me, please?

I'm using version 1.8.2

I have tried the following solutions:

·         html editor (admin>appearance>html editor) is on

·         in my profile "when editing text"... it says "use html editor

My moodle address is: http://ebims-m.ccems.pt/

I also tried the the recommendations about analytics code, using the recommended site.... but, again, with no success, I think it is  not my host.

I hope you can help me...

Thank you very much

In reply to Manuel Pérez

by Bill Meister -
I am having the same issue with 1.8.2+. I think that I have tried most everything that I can do. Please help!

I have also read through the info that has been posted and tried it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill M.
In reply to Bill Meister

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Bill,

people often say that they have the same issue although editor can be missing for various different reasons. You could check http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=61045#p522696

first and if you don't find any explanation for missing editor from that post or your source code can you send a link to your site. Spam code and injected code can be seen from any page (source), extra javascripts and broken javascripts often too, settings can be checked and browsers changed but without any information about your site and moodle it's hard to find the actual reason for your case.

by Bill Meister -

Hello Mauno,

Here is the link to my moodle site.  Let me know if I need give you a different link.

http://www.jedi.k12.wi.us/moodle/login/index.php

Thank you for looking at it

Bill M.

In reply to Bill Meister

by Bill Meister -

Hello All,

I had some bad code in my config.php file.  those funny spammers evil!!!

In reply to Bill Meister

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Yes it looks like some cracker has visited your site - near footer in source you can see

<!-- fiepdauwtii-->
<u style="display:none;">"hackcheckstr"</u>
<!--fiepdauwtii -->

and it reminds me of php file hacks from the past. You should either check (and clean) all your php files but particularly config.php and index.php or upgrade your site.

In similar cases the best cure has usually been upgrading of whole site - just take backups first in case something goes wrong, keep cleaned moodledata and config.php in safe place and replace your current moodle with a fresh one from http://download.moodle.org/ (for example)

Remember to change permissions of folders so that directly web accessible files are not writable (files inside web root - moodledata can be writable and it should not be inside web root)

In reply to Manuel Pérez

by Kevin Smith -
I have been working with Moodle now for a couple years now and have always had the html editor disappear. The strange thing is it comes and goes. I once had it tracked down to a caching issue, but now it doesn't return even after clearing the cache and waiting. (yes, the solution used to be clearing the cache and waiting 15 minutes). I would love a permanent solution (www.vieassociates.com/vieu), but have grown very pessimistic.

It is hard to believe that after all this time, there are still these problems with html editor of all things. I have used the last three versions, firefox, IE, you name it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled.... and still have troubles! Ugh. I have gotten so frustrated, I even switched LMSs - and I love Moodle.

As a matter of fact, I just did it again. Prior to writing this the editor was missing. After I posted this (this is an edit).... I went back to what I was attempting to edit, hit refresh, and the editor appeared. Sometimes it works; sometimes not, someimes it takes minutes, sometimes hours or days it seems!!!! EEERRRRRR.