EBSCOHOST Search Box?

EBSCOHOST Search Box?

by Fiona MacAlister -
Number of replies: 2

I've managed, after some tweaking, to insert an EBSCOHOST Search box on one of my web pages.  However, when you click on the 'Search' button, it simply links you back to the web page containing the search box.  Does anyone have an idea of how to get it to link to EBSCO?

The other odd thing that keeps happening is that I have to paste fresh searchbox code in the HTML editor every time I edit the page and be very careful to not switch back to the WYSIWYG interface as it seems to break the EBSCOHOST code.  I also had to put it in a table with specific dimensions otherwise it 'bled' out of the web page.  Does anyone know why it's doing this?  Is there perhaps a way of getting around this as well?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fiona MacAlister

Re: EBSCOHOST Search Box?

by lynn mccormick -

Hi Fiona,

I too am trying to get an Ebsco Search box to be functional in Moodle. What did you have to do to tweak it to get it to work? I tried to add it as an html block and it did not work.

Lynn McCormick

lmccormick@email.pittcc.edu

In reply to lynn mccormick

Re: EBSCOHOST Search Box?

by Myka Stephens -

This is an old thread, but I ran into this problem today and found a solution!

The issue is that the EBSCO search box builder uses javascript and Moodle does not recognize it. EBSCO offers this template for converting or configuring an EBSCO search box using only HTML:

http://support.epnet.com/knowledge_base/detail.php?id=4898

I was trying to configure a search box for EBSCO Discovery Service, which took a little extra tweaking:

• change the value for "site" from "ehost-live" to "eds-live"
  • change the value for "type" from "1" to "0"
  • Remove the line: <input name="db" value="aph" type="hidden"> 
  • Add the following lines:
    <input name="mode" value="bool" type="hidden">
    <input name="lang" value="en" type="hidden">
  • Be sure to customize the authentication settings. We use patron ID for off-campus access and so I had to add custid="xxx" after value= and before type= in the authtype line.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else who may be wanting to do this!

Myka Kennedy Stephens

mkstephens@lancasterseminary.edu

Average of ratings: Useful (1)