Student Option to Skip Quiz

Student Option to Skip Quiz

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 14

Hi Gordon

With all our wishes and requests, I sometimes think that us Quizport fans think Quizport should make our cups of tea and wipe our noses too.  I'm afraid you've rather spoilt us with your incredible enthusiasm for making Quizport so dynamic, accommodating and innovative.smile

So I apologise in advance for coming up with yet another wish for the list.....  I have had feedback from some of the faster learning students that some of my Quizports repeat material too many times.  But some of the students need this repetition.  I know I can set "skip next quiz" and make all sorts of other re-directions in the conditions but this doesn't help that much in my case as they still need to get a certain score in the quizzes and I don't feel confident about having them automatically skip quizzes just because they get 100% at first attempt, for instance.  There are certainly some students who can affort to skip a good lot of the quizzes, or who might find a certain type of exercise tedious and can afford to skip it. 

I don't think I have come across such a feature in Quizport, but maybe there is a way of doing this that I hadn't thought of?

Thanks very much in advance.

Deborah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Student Option to Skip Quiz

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Deborah,

thank you for your kind words about QuizPort. It is very encouraging to know that it continues to be a useful tool for you, and that you are excited enough about it to think of new possibilities for its use approve

I am interested in the idea of students choosing to skip quizzes. I imagine you want to offer this only to "good" students, while the weaker students have to follow the normal path through the materials.

Could you describe for me how it all might work with Student-A and Student-B interacting with quizzes Quiz-1 to Quiz-10?

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gerald Grow -
Gordon, I am facing a similar situation. Teachers have asked me to shorten a course so that each unit consists of a Hot Potatoes quiz that includes the most important elements of the unit, followed by the rest of the Hot Potatoes quizzes students may choose to practice. Except for the first quiz, which is graded, the others do not count, students don't have to do them -- they are OPTIONAL.

Typically, there would be one required and graded quiz, followed by three or four optional practice quizzes that are not graded.

When I've tried to set this up, I have not figured out how to keep the optional exercises from affecting the one grade for the required exercise.

Can you think of a way to do this inside Quizport, short of putting the optional quizzes on a different website and linking to them?

Thanks so much for being so responsive.

Gerald

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gerald Grow -
A clarification. This is a course for adult professionals who need basic review on a series of topics, and who want additional review on each topic available -- but only if they choose it. The additional review would be optional and ungraded.

In many situations, giving such options would not make sense, but in this situation, they are requesting it and it seems appropriate.

I may have figured out how to accomplish this by setting grade and weighting, on the optional quizzes, to "none." That's what I'm trying now.
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Deborah,
are you aware that if you remove all post-conditions from all your quizzes, then QuizPort will display a list of available quizzes. Students can choose what they do next. Would that suit you purposes?

Gerald,
how about putting the practice quizzes in a separate QuizPort? Anyone can attempt the graded QuizPort any time, but if they are having trouble getting a decent score on the main QuizPort, then can try the practice QuizPort which has no conditions on any quiz, so that all quizzes are always available and the students can pick and choose what they do.

Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

Yes, I realise that I can just remove all post-conditions. But then the student is returned to the main list at the end of each quiz and the continuation is lost.

I would like to be able to give them a more structured path, still giving the option of skipping if they want to. I do see that this could clash with the conditions and would have to override them.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

So are you thinking in terms of a skip button?

If you set up the quizzes into a Hot Potatoes chain (using the HP masher), then all the HP previous and next buttons will point to the correct quizzes. If you then set "Navigation" to "Original navigation aids" for all the quizzes when you add them to QuizPort, then the next button, "=>", will act like a skip button.

Maybe you are thinking of a mini-menu after each quiz?

In this case you could probably fix something up if you play with the pre-conditions, so that once a certain quiz is finished, several others become available. In this case, QuizPort will show a mini-menu of the quizzes that have become available.

Or maybe you are thinking of something else?

I must confess, I don't think I have understood your vision clearly. Perhaps instead of talking in abstract terms, you could give a link to an actual QuizPort that you would like to add "skipping" to?

cheers
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon

I actually hadn't thought in terms of offering the "skip" option only to the good students, although I imagine that that would be good in some situations.  At the level I am dealing with (primary) I wouldn't feel confident in determining a student as being strong on the basis of a few 100%'s on first attempt.  I was thinking more of an option the teacher could set on certain quizzes/Quizports to give the student more freedom to plough ahead quickly if he/she is able.  I can always check this by setting a review quiz at the end of the unit which jumps back to previous quizzes if the results show that the student shouldn't have rushed it.   I would probably only set the skip option on quizzes which are reinforcing or repeating material. 

Deborah

p.s. I just saw Jeff and Gerald's posts.  Jeff, so that's two of us voting for Quizport to do tea duties?big grin  Erm... in my case they are learning to read.  Some will need a lot of repetition, and some will need far less.  So I'd rather give them the option to self-pace.  And Gerald, you talk about creating different courses for different abilties.  that's just the point.  I have done this to an extent but I think it gets confusing when you start offering too many options.

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes, a "skip" button is exactly what I meant. Sorry if my explanation was long winded and unclear.

Of course, you are right, the "next" button in the original navigation aids button is the same as a "skip" button, I hadn't thought of that. This isn't a viable option for me as I have set everything up so that I need to have my exercises displayed in the Moodle Navigation Bar. But it's food for thought, as well as the mini-menu idea.

Thank you

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
ah yes, I see now. A "skip" button. Thank you.

I can imagine then a linear chain of quizzes, in which students can click a "skip" button in any quiz, and go on to the next quiz.

• What do we do about the possibility of students clicking the "skip" button by mistake?
    Should we have a "Do you really want to skip?" message?
  • What do we do about pre- and post-conditions?
    I guess if you set all pre-conditions to "Previous quiz" and all post-conditions to "Next quiz", that would deliver the quizzes one by one with no intervening menus. Is that what you would like?
  • What about if the students change their mind and decide they want to go back and do one of the quizzes they skipped?
    Should we give them an "back" button.

Come to think of it, maybe we can do want you want with a new value for the "navigation" setting:

• Moodle navigation bar + original navigation aids
    for a Hot Potatoes quiz, this would show the Moodle bar at the very top of the page, then under that would be the previous, "<=", and next, "=>", buttons

On a different tack, I have in mind to enhance the "Stop" button. At the moment, it is just like a panic button which takes you right out of the quiz, and in some cases, takes you right back to the course page. It may be clearer to teachers what the stop button does, if we options for ...

• Stop this quiz attempt
  • Stop this quiz
  • Stop this unit attempt
  • Stop this unit (and go back to the course page)

If you added a stop button at the moment, it would probaby act like the last of those, i.e. "Stop this unit", but you would like ""Stop this quiz".

So there are two possibilities - either allow the Moodle nav bar and the HP nav buttons to coexist, or expand the "Stop button" functionality to cater for a behavior that do what I think you are aiming to do with the "Skip" button.

Which sounds better to you?
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon,

Being able to display the original navigation aids with the Moodle Navigation Bar would be absolutely perfect for my purposes. When I first started to use Quizport I was very taken by the clean look of the Hot Potatoes quizzes without the navigation aids, but I have come to realise that in many cases one needs to give students more control to go forwards and backwards.

A for the pre and post-conditions, yes they could be set just to previous and next quiz. I don't know if you think it would be appropriate to allow the skip button to override pre and post conditions if they are set?

For my purposes the combined navigation aids/Moodle bar arrangement would be better because it has a back button. If you were to add a "stop and go to next quiz" option and a "back" button then that would serve the same purpose.

Thank you so much.

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon,

Just wondering if you are planning on implementing the Moodle Navigation Bar/Original Navigation aids combination which you mentioned, or some other improvement to the stop button? I would just like to know so that I can make other arrangements if necessary.

Thank you.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,
yes, I am planning to implement the nav-bar + original aids option. Probably it should be in place by the end of August.

Next on my list though is the work to make the HotPot
module compatible with Moodle 2.0. After that I will add a few things to QuizPort, including the features that have been requested on this forum in the last weeks. I should then be in a good position to finish getting TaskChain up and running on Moodle 2.0.

hope that's clear smile
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -
Hi Deborah,

Truth be told, I'd like QuizPort to clean my teacups. big grin

You might consider creating more challenging quizzes for the bright ones. One could rig chains such that given some achievement level one goes to different branches. Maybe the ideal situation is that all finish with the same amount of effort and time expended, impossible as that may be. Of that means you would have to develop those tougher quizzes.

Later,
Jeff