Looking for translators

Looking for translators

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Moodle offers more than 70 languages, but seriously lots of them are far from being complete translated. What do you think about a public call for additional translators? We can also sugges what files should be translated first:

My priorities would be:
  1. files and strings that are mostly visible for students
  2. files and strings that are mostly visible for teachers
  3. files for admin panels
  4. in detail files for admins like auth*
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Looking for translators

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ralf,

I agree with you that additional translators to help complete all the language packs would be great. However, let's wait for the collaborating tool in AMOS to be ready before calling for additional translators. The collaborating tool will enable language pack maintainers to review translations before adding the strings to their language pack, ensuring quality and consistency is maintained.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I agree to wait. Thanks
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Ray Lawrence -
The English language packs are a little way from beng perfect too.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ray:

The English language packs are a little way from beng perfect too.

I suppose you meant "The English language packs are a little way from being perfect too."wink
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Ralf and Helen,

I totally agree with you.smile
Yes! "quality and consistency" are very important factors.

But I think we need not all additional translators for existing language packs.
So how about setting the following baseline for adding another translators in the future?
  • Percentage of translated strings - eg. "less than 50%"
  • date last modified - eg. "older than 3 months"

Mits
In reply to Mitsuhiro Yoshida

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
You are righ. We have a lot of translations with less than 25 % of translated strings. I think in most regions its ok if user and teacher interface is translated because admins often speak english.

so my +1