Rebuild from backup and now users cannot log in - salt issue?

Rebuild from backup and now users cannot log in - salt issue?

by Martyn Thompson -
Number of replies: 4
I was forced to rebuild my moodle VLE from backups including the MySQL database and website content.
This is now running correctly after a bit of tweaking however none of the users can log in.
I believed this might be a SALTing issue and have added the line
$CFG->passwordsaltalt1='OLD SALT';
above the newly generated salt.

This has not worked. My first thought was that the alternative (old) salt was copied incorrectly however this has been both copy/pasted into the config.php file and also hand typed. This was taken from a backup which I know works.

Does anyone have any experience of this - I really don't wish to force users to go through the process of resetting their passwords.

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martyn Thompson

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Rebuild from backup and now users cannot log in - salt issue?

by Aaron Wells -
Since Martyn's talking about using an alternate salt, it doesn't really matter what order they're in because they're going in two separate fields, $CFG->passwordsaltmain and $CFG->passwordsaltalt1.
In reply to Aaron Wells

by Martyn Thompson -
Thanks for the responses/suggestions guys.

I did try placing the $CFG-> option both above and below the 'main' one but it made no difference.

I am the sole administrator of the account and no, I couldn't log in initially. As a result I went through the password reset process via email. Something I was happy to do in order to get access to the moodle web based user administration pages.
I would rather not force the users to have to go through the same process.

I am not afraid of the MySQL database if making some alterations to this will help but obviously I do not want to make things worse (!).

Thanks again for any ideas, comments or thoughts.

Martyn
In reply to Martyn Thompson

by Martyn Thompson -
Good evening gentlemen,

I haven't solved this issue but have been able to perform a workaround which I am sure is documented elsewhere.

I have a list of users and their (plain text) passwords on my own system. Using this list I was able to perform a mass upload from the administrator menu and select the options to update passwords and add any missing users.

Not elegant and I realise if people have altered their password since I set up their accounts then these won't be able to log in. I suspect this will be a minimal number of people.

It isn't the way I would have liked to have done it because I like to understand why something is not working (then apply a fix) but due to time constraints I needed to get things running again.

Thanks for your comments and support gents.

Best regards,

Martyn