Restricting access to resources

Restricting access to resources

by Dan Craven -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

I'm looking to find an effective and simple way to restrict access to files.

We employ a system where guests can see any course, but have found that due to licensing issues it will be necessary to restrict content to only enrolled users.

Is there any way to do with with resources without turning off guest access?

Thanks,
Dan.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Craven

Re: Restricting access to resources

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "content" here -and what precisely guests would be able to see if you restricted it. Do you mean uploaded materials on the course? In which case, if you restricted them to only enrolled users what would be the purpose of guests being able to see the course? Would there be other files that would be available? (not meant to be an interrogation - just trying to find a suitable solution smile )
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dan Craven -
Thanks for the reply!

To give a bit more information, at our institution we plan to allow guest access to the majority of courses to allow students to view courses on which they are not enrolled.

However, our licences mean that some uploaded materials (think, PDF of scanned book)need to be restricted to just users enrolled on the course.

We would still like to keep guests able to view other materials that are uploaded. But there are a few exceptions.

So, for example. Guests would be able to see materials created for the course, but not materials from other sources (such as scanned books). This means that guests can still see the layout / majority of uploaded materials and some activities.

The plan was to turn off guest access to some courses, but we are trying to avoid having to do so on the entire system for the sake of the odd material.

Hope this clears things up.
In reply to Dan Craven

by Randy Orwin -
Hi Dan,

If it is just the occasional resource then I would assign all of your enrolled students to a group, create a grouping and assign that group to the grouping and then in the resources you want to hide from guests assign those resources to the grouping that you created earlier. This will hide the resources from guests but show them to enrolled students. I have written a blog post about groupings at:

http://orwinconsulting.com/blogs/randy-orwin/moodle-groupings

and you can find information in the Moodle Docs at:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Groupings

Good luck!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Orwin

by Dan Craven -
Thanks Randy!

This looks like the solution, will have to look into getting the feature enabled. Do you know if it causing any problems, I see its listed as an 'experimental' feature?

Thanks again!
In reply to Dan Craven

by Randy Orwin -
Dan,

From my experience it seems to be working just fine.