Best way to allow teachers into other teacher's courses?

Best way to allow teachers into other teacher's courses?

by John St -
Number of replies: 5

Some of our teachers would like to be able to 'see' other teacher's courses. But actually joining these other courses as students doesn't really make sense...

Courses could allow guest access (since we have forced login anyway) but then students could also get into these other courses... Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John St

Re: Best way to allow teachers into other teacher's courses?

by Amir Elion -
You could define a new role of course_viewer, which can view courses, legacy role of non-edtiting teacher (and change other role permissions as you find fit for this role), and then assign all teachers a site-wide role of course_viewer.
If you mark the checkbox for making it a hidden role then they don't appear as course staff. If you don't want to assign them a site wide role you can assign them this role (again - hidden) on the top categories of your courses.
In reply to Amir Elion

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi!
I created the role course_viewer, to be assigned at a main category level for all teachers having courses under that level. The point is to make them able to look into each others courses.

I created the role from scratch, with only the permission for moodle/course:view set to allow.

The problem is, in their My Moodle course list they now see not just their own courses but ALL courses that are under the main category where they were (hiddenly) assigned to the role course_viewer. Can I fix this?

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Mary Parke -
Hi Peter,

Few things - I don't know where you teach in the world or if you're public or private, but allowing all faculty to view all other faculty courses may be a breach of faculty contract as well as FERPA for the student data.

What we've done is create a similar role called "reviewer" - it is simply a copy of the "student" role. Then we allow faculty to add other faculty to this role. A faculty member can contact another faculty member and ask to be added as a reviewer to his/her course. This keeps the list in the "My courses" or "My Moodle" shorter as the inquiring faculty member only sees those courses he/she is interested in; it protects us on faculty contract legalities and FERPA legalities, and by having this "reviewer" role separate from the "student" role, it separates out our statistical reports when we need numbers on "students" in courses.

I hope this helps in some way, and if these legalities don't apply to you - all the better!

Best,

Mary
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Peter,

We had the same problem. There is a solution, but it requires a small change to the Moodle code. See MDL-21586.
In reply to Henning Bostelmann

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Thanx, I'll have a look at that!

(The course_viewer role I created is very restricted, it cannot view activities, participant lists and so on. The purpose is just to be able to view course layouts and documents.)