Using CVS and moving from 1.9.5 to 1.9.8

Using CVS and moving from 1.9.5 to 1.9.8

by David Gill -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

I'm moving my site from a windows based system to a Linux based system. Is using CVS the easiest way of setting up and upgrading Moodle?

My current Moodle is 1.9.5. If I set up the new site on a new physical machine and install 1.9.8 will I only need to restore my course/front page backups on the new system?

Thanks,

David
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Gill

Re: Using CVS and moving from 1.9.5 to 1.9.8

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's easier if your site is already booked out from cvs (git would be even easier).

If it isn't, it would be a good time to check out the new version from CVS or git (please use git smile ).

You should't need to restore anything. It should all be exactly the same after the upgrade.
In reply to Howard Miller

by David Gill -
I must not understand something.... sorrysmile I'm moving everything (database, webserver, moodle) from my old server (win2k3) to a new machine (linux). So would I move my existing moodle db, and moodle directory to the new server and then run an update?

I guess what I'm asking is what is the simplest way to migrate my existing windows based system to a new linux machine?

Thanks for your response.

David
In reply to David Gill

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You need to move

* The database
* The 'moodledata' area
* The code (possibly updating to the latest version)

Then

* edit config.php to reflect new URL and file locations

Got to http://your.site/moodle/admin (or whatever) to run the update. Even that would only apply if you'd updated you Moodle program code.