Help - config.php file problems

Help - config.php file problems

by Mick Widdop -
Number of replies: 1
Please help!

I'm trying to upload moodle to my website - have managed to FTP all installation files up to shared hosting plan.

Have set up folder for Moodle data,moodle root etc and set up My SQL database

When I point my browser at installation folder ie www.evolutionelearning.com/moodle/install.php the installation starts

However problem is when moodle comes to create config.php file and throws this into root Moodle folder.

What is happening is that on the next screen I get a 403 error.

I believe that this is a permissions problem on the config.php file.When I access the config.php via FTP the permissions cannot be changed.It appears that the file is owned by Apache and cannot be changed.

I contacted my Host (Blacknight) who changed permissions - this time I changed the config.phpto 777 - no joy - still a 403/404 error.

My question is this - I've developed a moodle site locally

Can I just FTP my existing files over to my remote server ie my host package?

If i do this,is it the config.php I need to edit ie to include new root/datafolder/database details?Or do I need to edit anything else.

Any suggestions welcome before i lose the remainder of my hair!!!

Mick W
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mick Widdop

Re: Help - config.php file problems

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I can think of a lot of reasons why it won't work, but you should be able to, as long as the config.php file is showing the right details, particularly with regard to the database. If they are not right, then nothing will get it working.

$CFG->dbtype = 'mysql';
$CFG->dbhost = 'your.server.address.ip';
$CFG->dbname = 'moodle';
$CFG->dbuser = 'maybe_root';
$CFG->dbpass = 'whatever...';
$CFG->dbpersist = false;
$CFG->prefix = 'mdl_';

Getting these right will help to get the whole thing working. Good luck...