Question pages - jumping to the next page

Question pages - jumping to the next page

by Garth Spencer-Smith -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

I am using Moodle 1.9.7. I have set up some Moodle question pages but am having a problem: whatever answer the student gives, the program takes him/her back to the same page. He/shes need to scroll down to see the feedback at the bottom of the page: if they are correct it allows them to click on 'continue' to go on, if they are incorrect they need to re-answer the question.

Is there a way of ensuring that if the correct answer is chosen the user jumps directly to the next page, without having to go back to the same one again?

Thanks so much

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Garth Spencer-Smith

Re: Question pages - jumping to the next page

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Garth,
This is just the way a Moodle Lesson works. When a student gives a correct answer, feedback is displayed at the bottom of the page for them to see, and then they have to click the Continue button to continue. I do not see how this is a problem.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Garth Spencer-Smith -
Hi Joseph

Well, the problem is that it wastes time for the user to scroll down a potentially long page to get to the feedback at the bottom, when a better (well, certainly quicker) solution is to jump immediately to the next page. People could be primed to realise that if this happens that they must have got the question right.

So, is there no way thay can jump forward automatically on giving a correct answer or, at most, just get feedback only (not see the entire page they've just worked through)?

Ta
Garth

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Garth
Use branch tables instead of questions; that is what I do.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mary,

Branch tables serve a different purpose from Question pages. If you want to test the student before they move on, you would use a Question page; if you only want them to proceed from one page to the next, then you would use Branch tables.

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

Garth "... or, at most, just get feedback only (not see the entire page they've just worked through)?"

Hmm, this question crops up from time in the Lesson forum, and I must plead guilty and explain.

A few years ago, this is how the Lesson Questions + Feedback used to work:

1. Question page with "question text" at the top (or filling out the whole screen, etc.) and e.g. multiple choice question underneath.
  2. Student answered question, e.g. clicked on one of the MCQ choices and clicked the "Please check one answer" button.
  3. A new page was displayed, containing the feedback corresponding to student's choice, and the "Continue" button under the feedback text.
  4. If student's choice was correct, the Continue button took them to the next page in the sequence; otherwise, student was taken back to original page.
I was not happy with the way the feedback was displayed and I contended that it did not make sense for a feedback message to appear on its own on a page where a) the question text and b) the student's answer were no longer displayed.
As a consequence of my protests, things were changed, and we now have this sequence of events:
  1. Question page with "question text" at the top (or filling out the whole screen, etc.) and e.g. multiple choice question underneath.
  2. Student answers question, e.g. clicks on one of the MCQ choices and clicks the "Please check one answer" button.
  3. At the bottom of the same page, with question text still visible, student's answer is displayed "Your answer:" as well as the feedback corresponding to student's answer, and the "Continue" button under the feedback text.

This "new" way of displaying things is perfect for Question pages which contain very little text in the "Question text" part, where the feedback message is important and must be displayed and read by the student.

It is not so ergonomic for Question pages which contain longish text (more than one screenful) and where there is no specific feedback message (the default feedback is displayed). I has been suggested, for those cases, that the feedback message (and also, maybe, the "Your answer:" prompt + student's answer could be displayed at the top of the page rather than at the bottom. That suggestion (in the case of short question texts especially) would mean a not logical way to display things (having the answer before the question!).

In conclusion, because the Question page in the Lesson module can be used for rather different uses, it is not possible to have a display system that satisfies everyone. One possibility would be to add yet another display setting, either for the whole Lesson or for individual questions. There are far too many settings in the Lesson module as it is at the moment, and adding another might, I think, only add to the confusion.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Garth Spencer-Smith -
Thanks for your detailed response, Joseph - I now understand the situation much better. My personal preference would be for the original format, where the feedback was shown on a new page, but perhaps the majority opinion is for the latest way its done.

All the best
Garth